m
p
m
f
firefighter118 firefighter118
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Do you eat genetically modified foods?Do you think it' is safe?
Read 247 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
I do not oppose the production and use of genetically modified foods.  The process improves the quality of foods, lowers the cost of production and the production of enzymes and other organic molecules that are not easily produced by "natural" means.  For example, the enzyme rennin used to make cheese traditionally has been extracted from the stomach linings of veal, lambs, and other immature mammals.  By isolating the gene to produce the enzyme and put into alfalfa plants to produce the enzyme.  The alfalfa fertilizes the soil as it grows due to nitrogen fixing bacterial root nodules, can be harvested with normal equipment, the enzyme extracted, and the residues used to produce livestock food.  The enzyme is purified and sold to cheese manufacturers.
wrote...
10 years ago
No, I'm not opposed to the production and use of GM foods.

Yes, I (along with about 90% of americans) eat GM foods, and have done so for years.

Yes, I think it's safe.
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, padre
There is no rational reason to believe that GM foods could cause any health concern but I am against their use for different reasons.

1) The modified genes introduced in cultivated crops or farm animals could one day spread among the wild populations of plants and animals. It is very difficult to foresee what consequences this might have in the future but it is possible that they will have a serious impact on the survival of many wild species.

2) GM organisms are produced by multinational corporations whose first aim is to maximise their profits. The best way for them to do this is to sell the same mass produced product to the largest number of people. Imagine a world where every human being in the whole world had to eat the same food every single day (a capitalist's wet dream and my worst nightmare). The same reasoning applies to all industrial food production but GM foods push it to the extreme.

I am very passionate about good food (maybe because I'm Italian) and I think that, rather than covering the whole world with one hyper-productive monoculture we should try to preserve the immense variety of local crops and farm animals that are part of our history and culture (and taste much better too).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  914 People Browsing
 108 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?