t
i
r
Charlie Charlie
wrote...
Donated
Rep: 4 0
12 years ago
Suppose it is a hot summer day (32 degrees C), and you have left a can of hairspray outside so the gas within it is now at the same temperature of its surroundings. As part of your chemistry lab class, you have to build a safe and effective potato gun to share with the local elementary school, and you must be sure that the combustion chamber is well insulated and will not harm (burn) the shooter. You spray the warm hairspray into the 4.0 L chamber on your gun. You seal the cap, then ignite it, and the resulting gas expands to 17.0 L as the potato is shot out. What is the final temperature, in Celsius, inside the combustion chamber? What is this temperature in Fahrenheit? [SHOW ALL WORK TO RECEIVE CREDIT]
Read 3924 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Charlie, did you ever get the answers to this one? Also, do you have the answers to the other parts?

(b) Suppose you were required to make a solution by diluting 15.0 mL of an aqueous solution to a final volume of 500 mL.
(4 pts.) Describe, in as much detail as possible, the entire dilution process from beginning to end as described in this lab. How are the two solutions properly mixed together? What is the role of the meniscus in this process?

Answer:

[ii] (2 pts.) When preparing this solution, you accidentally go over the fill line. Your lab partner says not to worry about it, and advises you to just suck out a little of the solution off the top with a pipette until it is below the line. But your friend next to you from one lab group over advises against it, and suggests you just start over from the beginning, even though lab class is about over! To whom should you listen, and why? Explain.

Answer:
Charlie Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
I didn't use any help with it, just my answers. So, I don't know how accurate they are.

b)
First you will need a 15.0 mL volumetric pipette and a 500 mL volumetric flask. You would obtain 15.0 mL of the aqueous solution with your pipette by using a pipetting technique. Being careful to measure exactly 15.0 mL and lining up the bottom of the meniscus with the fill line. The meniscus is the interface between a liquid and a gas (Yee, n.d.). You would then empty the solution from the pipette into the volumetric flask. Slowly allowing the solution to drain naturally from the pipette and not blowing it out. You would then fill the volumetric flask with the diluting solution slowly. This allows the solution to be properly mixed (Yee, n.d.). You would fill until the solution is near the fill line. You can then use a disposable pipette to bring the level of the solution precisely to the fill line. Being sure that the bottom of the meniscus is even with the fill line. Then to be fully sure that the solutions are mixed properly, you can apply a stopper to the flask and invert to mix (Yee, n.d.). Since its an aqueous solution it is a good idea to put a little bit of grease on with the stopper; it will keep the liquid from draining out (Yee, n.d.).

ii)
You should listen to your friend next to you from one lab group over. If you just suck out a little, then the dilution ratio will not be correct. It will not have the final dilution ratio that was called for, therefore spoiling the entire lab. If you go over, you just have to start all over. 

I still have not finished the last question.. the original one that I posted. But, I am assuming that you use Charles' Law. V1/T1=V2/T2. I am just having trouble with plugging in the numbers.
Unsure if it is:
V1=4.0
T1=32C
V2=17.0
T2=?

I did find a really cool website though.
Its a calculator for Charles' Law. You just plug in the numbers.

http://www.1728.org/charles.htm

Check it out.
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, medgirl90
Charlie,

How'd you end up doing on the last one?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1265 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?