13 years ago
we did a potato lab in class.
 we put 3 potatos in different solutions
potato A: is in 100% in water
potato B: is in 10 % of water
potato c: is in more than 10 % of salt
please help! Face with Open Mouth
answer the follwoing questions:

1) Is the 100% water solution isotonic, hypertonic, or hypotonic to the potato core? Thoroughly explain using your knowledge of osmosis and cite evidence from the lab to back up your answer.
(i will relate back after)

2) Is the 10 % salt solution isotonic, hypertonic, or hypotonic to the potato core? Thoroughly explain using your knowledge of osmosis and cite evidence from the lab to back up your answer.

3) Make a hypothesis that predicts at what salt concentration a potato core would not change mass. Cite evidence from the lab to back your answer.
Read 5905 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Did you use distilled water or ordinary water? Slight Smile
flower555 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
i used tap water also could u help me with the perivous entry with the comparison and bond properties. Thanks a ton your the best!
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
hypotonic: a solution which contains more solute than solvent (example: a lot of salt(solute) dissolved in water(solvent))

hypertonic: a solution which contains more solvent than solute (example: purified water--there's almost no solute dissolved in the solvent(water))

isotonic: a solution in which the solute and solvent are equally distributed--a cell normally wants to remain in an isotonic solution, where the concentration of the liquid inside of it equals the concentration of the liquid outside of it

(1) 100 % water is hypertonic to the potato... use the definition above.

(2) 10 % water solution is hypotonic... use the definition above

(3) When the salt concentration of the potato is the same the salt concentration in the water

Bio_man 8)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1164 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586