t
i
r
r
sarablacky sarablacky
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
Hey everyone! I am conducting an interview for my Nursing Leadership and Management class and was hoping I could get someone who is a registered nurse to answer these questions for me and list what your job title is and the floor that you work on I do not have any "network" in this area so I would greatly appreciate any response!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

What made you decide to go into the nursing field?
What do you find difficult about being a nurse?
What do you find most rewarding about being a nurse?
What are some qualities you feel a nurse leader needs to display and why?
Do you feel as though you possess these characteristics?
Are there any aspects of leadership that you feel you lack or could improve on existing qualities?
How has your outlook and/or behaviors changed over time?
How do you deal with change?
What do you think will be the greatest challenge for professional nurses in the next five years?
How do you support or advocate new ideas?
What role do you play in performance improvement initiatives?
How important is it to you that a nurse leader displays trustworthiness?
Read 439 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
What made you decide to go into the nursing field?

Nursing offers a wide variety and broad career opportunities. From patient care, to information technology, to utilization review, education, policy and even research, nursing offers a path for different skills and concentrations. Nursing is one of those healthcare careers where employment will always be found as it is not only limited to caring for sick patients.

What do you find difficult about being a nurse?

- Sometimes I find it difficult to leave work at work, as I tend to become very involved with my patients.
- I think the most difficult part of being a nurse is when I have a patient that is very unhappy, or in a lot of pain, and I can't comfort them to the degree I'd like.
- I prefer to look at difficulties as challenges, and I enjoy conquering challenges.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
what made you choose nursing as a career?
i wanted to do something in my career that is challenging, interesting, and makes a difference in people's lives on a daily basis

how has your training prepared you for a nursing career?
i believe that nursing is unique in that it is both art and science.
science = technical aspects of nursing, skill, knowledge - book learning.
art = wisdom, compassion, and empathy.

what interests you about working here? i researched the organization for this answer and formulated a response.

several reasons.
1.   working in prompt care, every day will be different, so being able to process, adapt, and respond accordingly is essential for this job. organization, being able to prioritize, use good judgement, willingness to work hard.

2.   x company has the the largest system of rural health clinics in the state and i have lived in rural areas all my life. provision of healthcare is important to me, my family.

3.   agree with x company's vision, mission, and values statements

do you have any professional affiliations?
yes, several.

what do you do to keep current with medical findings and practices?
continuing education is not only necessary for license renewal but is important for keeping skills fresh, increasing knowledge base, and being with others who do the same thing i do (networking).

how do you handle stress on the job?
by focusing on the most important thing, the care of the patient. i feel i owe it to my patients to stay calm and focused on them.
never let them see you sweat. if you lose their confidence, you will lose the ability to provide care.

how would you deal with a doctor who was rude?
first, i would try to avoid situations that would make this occur.
i would bring the question to my supervisor. if the doctor was displeased with me in some way, i would want to find out so i could take action to rectify the situation.
i would ask the doctor if there was something in my care of the patient that needed discussion.

how would you handle a patient who constantly complains about pain?
i would listen sympathetically to their complaint, reassure them that their concerns were being heard, and that we were doing everything possible to help them.

how would you handle a patient who complains about everything?
i understand that some patients will complain about everything, just because they are unhappy about what brought them to our care. i would listen and reassure them that everything possible is being done to make them comfortable.

how would you handle a family who is displeased with your patient's care?
i would listen to their concerns, and make sure that if any were well founded they were addressed immediately. sometimes family members are looking for someone or something to blame for what their loved one is going through. i would try to reassure them that the patient was getting the best quality of care available.

what do you feel you contribute to your patients?
i believe that i offer my patients comfort and confidence that they are being well cared for.
i feel that my patients know that i am there to provide comfort and understanding, that i will listen to their concerns, and that i will be their advocate.

what do you find difficult about being a nurse?
i think the most difficult part of being a nurse is having a pt who is afflicted with a dibilitating disease or injury that is going to affect them adversely for the rest of their life. especially when it occurs to children and young adults in the prime of life.

what do you find most rewarding about being a nurse?
as with anything in life, work, relationships...doing something right, doing it thoroughly, and to the best of my ability are always rewarding.

what would you do if your replacement didn't arrive?
i would notify the supervisor, and offer to stay until my replacement arrived.

would you describe yourself as organized?
absolutely! being organized is, for me, a key to time management, maintaining sanity in my life, in my home...

are you a self motivator?
yes! i’ve been self-employed for the past 10 yrs. and to be successfully self-employed if you are not able to get up and out the door to your place of business if you aren’t self motivated. also going back to school, dealing with the rigors of tremendous amount of studying, 7 am clinicals, plus i was working about 15-20 hrs/wk.

do you prefer to work alone, or as part of a team?
the concept of teamwork is important in nursing.
sarablacky Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you!! nursing is a wonderful and rewarding career. As a student i too find it difficult caring for a patient who has an extensive condition and then having to leave for the day.  Face with Rolling Eyes
wrote...
10 years ago
I was inspired by family members.  I think it is both science and practicum that makes it interesting to me.  I also find it hard to get out on time. 
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1370 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352