t
i
r
r
mb2005 mb2005
wrote...
13 years ago
I need help with these.

1.  Which rat had the fastest baseline metabolic rate?
2.  Why did the metabolic rates differ? 
3.  If an animal has been thyroidectomized, what hormone(s) would be missing from its blood?
4.  As a result of the missing hormone(s), what would the overall effect on the body and metabolism be?   
5.  How could you treat a thyroidectomized animal so that it functioned like a “normal” animal? 
6.  If an animal has been hypophysectomized, what effect would you expect to see in the hormone levels in its body? 
7.  What would be the effect of a hypophysectomy on the metabolism of an animal?
Read 24089 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
This is what I came up with sorry no guarantees it is right!
wrote...
13 years ago
Help if I add them

Hormones and Metabolism
Activity 1:  Determining the Baseline Metabolic Rates

Which rat had the fastest baseline metabolic rate? The Normal Rate at 1686
Why did the metabolic rates differ?  The rates differed due to thyroid gland being removed from the thyoidectomized rat, preventing it from it producing Thyroxine to maintain its metabolic rate, the hypodectomized rat could not release the Thyrotropin releasing hormone to stimulate the release of TSH since it was blocked
If an animal has been thyroidectomized, what hormone(s) would be missing from its blood?  Thyroxine
As a result of the missing hormone(s), what would the overall effect on the body and metabolism be?  The rate could not maintaining metabolism and body heat   
How could you treat a thyroidectomized animal so that it functioned like a “normal” animal?  Treat it with T3 and T4
If an animal has been hypophysectomized, what effect would you expect to see in the hormone levels in its body?  Lower hormone levels
What would be the effect of a hypophysectomy on the metabolism of an animal? Lower metabolism rate
doseofmegan,  oneanjlhere,  waii
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
I am fairly certain that Duddy can answer this for you. There is a slight difference in the activity questions between versions and the answers I have do not appear to be for the activity sheet you have. Duddy has all the versions.
mb2005 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
thanks knight
wrote...
12 years ago
I have to write an abstract for these lab, please  can someone help me!!! I am totally crazy with this abstract.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
I have to write an abstract for these lab, please  can someone help me!!! I am totally crazy with this abstract.

Writing abstracts are tricky, but it's really nothing more than a summary. Do you know how to write one or would you like us to edit what you already have?
wrote...
12 years ago
how does one figure out the oxygen consumption per hour when the formula is:

0.1 ml O2    *  60 min
_________      _______
1min                 1 hr

wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
how does one figure out the oxygen consumption per hour when the formula is:

0.1 ml O2    *  60 min
_________      _______
1min                 1 hr

I replied to the other thread Jess, let us know what activity.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1383 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion