t
i
r
r
Marcosiu Marcosiu
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
1:On the simplifying assumption that oxygen and carbon atoms have the same weight, how many tons of carbon dioxide gas are formed when  tons of coal burns (coal is nearly pure carbon)?

2:In a typical large coal-fed electrical generating plant, 1.2 tons of coal are burned every 8 seconds. On the simplifying assumption that oxygen and carbon atoms have the same weight, about how many tons of carbon dioxide enter the atmosphere every hour from such a plant (coal is nearly pure carbon)?

3:The distance to the moon is 384,000 km. Express this using scientific "e-notation".

How far is this in meters?

How far is this in millimeters?

4:The universe is a million trillion seconds old. Write this number in ordinary (not powers of 10) notation.
Read 2785 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
1:On the simplifying assumption that oxygen and carbon atoms have the same weight, how many tons of carbon dioxide gas are formed when  tons of coal burns (coal is nearly pure carbon)?

In a typical large coal-fed electrical generating plant, a ton of coal is burned every ten seconds. About how many tons of carbon dioxide enter the atmosphere every hour from such a plant?

Let's assume that coal is nearly pure carbon, and that oxygen and carbon have the same weight. Since one ton of coal (i.e. carbon) is burned every ten seconds, 3 tons of carbon dioxide ( tex2html_wrap_inline139 ) enter the atmosphere every ten seconds. One hour (3600 seconds) has 360 ten-second intervals, and thus the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere per hour = 360 times 3 = 1080 tons. Using the correct mass ratio (3:4) between carbon and oxygen, one finds that the total mass of carbon dioxide is (4+4+3)/3 times that of carbon. Therefore the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted per hour = (11/3) times 360 = 1320 tons.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
3:The distance to the moon is 384,000 km. Express this using scientific "e-notation".

How far is this in meters?

How far is this in millimeters?

3.84e5

3.84e8

3.84e11

Respectively
Marcosiu Author
wrote...
8 years ago

In a typical large coal-fed electrical generating plant, a ton of coal is burned every ten seconds. About how many tons of carbon dioxide enter the atmosphere every hour from such a plant?

Let's assume that coal is nearly pure carbon, and that oxygen and carbon have the same weight. Since one ton of coal (i.e. carbon) is burned every ten seconds, 3 tons of carbon dioxide ( tex2html_wrap_inline139 ) enter the atmosphere every ten seconds. One hour (3600 seconds) has 360 ten-second intervals, and thus the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere per hour = 360 times 3 = 1080 tons. Using the correct mass ratio (3:4) between carbon and oxygen, one finds that the total mass of carbon dioxide is (4+4+3)/3 times that of carbon. Therefore the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted per hour = (11/3) times 360 = 1320 tons.

Sorry I still don't understand
Can you show me how to do on my question?
wrote...
8 years ago
@Marcosiu

Any updates Frowning Face

I sort of need this too!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1362 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion