t
i
r
r
siriusf siriusf
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
What is the shortest time it takes to express a gene?
Read 766 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
At least in eukaryotes, the shortest protein product that you can translate would be a dipeptide requiring your start codon, a filler amino acid to cause the first translocation step and the stop codon to kick off the ribosome.

As a result a gene would require at least 9 nucleotides.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
8 years ago
The smallest known protein, Trp-cage, contains 20 amino acids, so it has, at minimum, a genetic code containing 60 base pairs. However, it is an artificially created protein, so it doesn't really count (it does, however, provide a lower bound on what's possible). There are also tRNA genes, which aren't genes in the normal sense, but rather instructions for constructing tRNAs. The shortest known tRNA gene is 76 base pairs. (I don't think tRNA genes really count, either.)

The shortest known functional gene (that is, it codes for a protein that is actually used by the organism) is a histone gene that is about 500 base pairs long. Histones are proteins that are involved in organizing DNA into nucleosomes, which are the compact basic building blocks of chromosomes.
wrote...
8 years ago
ooh i like the question. but i would like to know which gene or do you just want general information which is not specific? if yes then tell me and i can help you out.

regards
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, bio_man
I think general information would do because it varies widely from organism to organism, gene to gene.

ooh i like the question. but i would like to know which gene or do you just want general information which is not specific? if yes then tell me and i can help you out.

regards
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1316 People Browsing
 113 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274