i
r
r
galpinj galpinj
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Hey everyone!

I've been reviewing glycolysis and photosynthesis and have run into a bit of a problem. I've looked at how Pyruvate is turned into acetyl-CoA. I can't understand where the hydrogen comes from that allows NAD+ to turn into NADH + H+.  I've attached a photo showing the reaction (similar photo in Campbell's). Where does the H- for NAD+ and the H+ come from??

http://swh.schoolworkhelper.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pyruvate-oxidation.jpg?085e4f
Read 784 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
The pyruvic molecules formed in glycolosis enter the mitochondria, where they are converted to acetyl Coenzyme-A (acetyl-CoA). In this complex series of reactions, pyruvate undergoes oxidative decarboxylation. First, a carboxyl group is removed as carbon dioxide, which diffuses out of the cell. Then the two-carbon fragment remaining is oxidized, and the hydrogens that were removed during the oxidation are accepted by NAD+. Finally, the oxidized two-carbon fragment, an acetyl group, is attached to Coenzyme-A, which is manufactured in the cell from one of the B vitamins, pantothenic acid. The reaction is catalyzed by a multienzyme complex that contains several copies of each of three different enzymes. The overall reaction for the formation of acetyl Coenzyme-A can be stated as follows:

2 pyruvate + 2 NAD+ + 2 CoA Rightwards Arrow 2 acetyl-CoA + 2 NADH + 2 carbon dioxide

Note that the original glucose molecule has now been oxidized to two acetyl groups and two carbon dioxide molecules. The hydrogens removed have reduced NAD+ to NADH. At this point in aerobic respiration, four NADH molecules have been formed from a single starting glucose molecule, two during glycolosis and two during the formation of acetyl-CoA from pyruvate.

url=https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=23574][/url]
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
wrote...
Valued Member
7 years ago
Pyruvic acid is the accessible of the alpha–keto acids, with a carboxylic acids & a ketone(RC(=O)R',) groups. Pyruvic acid can be made with glucose through glycolysis changed back to carbohydrates’ by gluconeo genesis, or to fatty acids through a reaction with acetyl-Chloride. It can also be used to create the amino acid alanine (α-amino acid) and can be converted into ethanol or lactic acid by fermentation ( metabolic process that converts sugar to acids).
Pyruvate is an important chemical compound in biochemistry. It is the volume of the metabolism of glucose known as glycolysis.
CH3COCl + KCN → CH3COCN + KCl
CH3COCN → CH3COCOOH

Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1247 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586