a
t
i
r
r
nite_n_day nite_n_day
wrote...
10 years ago
The element sulfur has an atomic number of 16 and mass number of 32. How many neutrons are in the nucleus of a sulfur atom? If sulfur forms covalent bonds with hydrogen, how many hydrogen atoms can bond to one sulfur atom?
Read 10943 times
2 Replies
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
The number of neutrons in an atom is equal to the mass number minus the atomic number. Thus, sulfur has 32 - 16 = 16 neutrons. The atomic number indicates the number of protons, so a neutral sulfur atom contains 16 protons plus 16 electrons to balance the protons electrically. The electrons would be distributed as follows: 2 in the first electron shell, 8 in the second, and the remaining 6 in the third. To achieve a full 8 electrons in the third (outermost) electron shell, the sulfur atom can accept 2 electrons in an ionic bond or can share 2 electrons in a covalent bond. Because hydrogen atoms can share one electron in a covalent bond, the sulfur atom can form two covalent bonds with hydrogen, one with each of two hydrogen atoms. In chemical notation, this is H2S.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
nite_n_day Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks very much Grinning Face
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1342 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328