× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
mihaella mihaella
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Can someone explain how compact bone and spongy bone contributes to strength while remaining light in weight.Why are these characteristics important? Thank  you Slight Smile
Read 456 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Read this..

Compact

The hard outer layer of bones is composed of compact bone tissue, so-called due to its minimal gaps and spaces. Its porosity is 5–30%. This tissue gives bones their smooth, white, and solid appearance, and accounts for 80% of the total bone mass of an adult skeleton. Compact bone may also be referred to as dense bone.

Spongy

Filling the interior of the bone is the trabecular bone tissue (an open cell porous network also called cancellous or spongy bone), which is composed of a network of rod- and plate-like elements that make the overall organ lighter and allow room for blood vessels and marrow. Trabecular bone accounts for the remaining 20% of total bone mass but has nearly ten times the surface area of compact bone. Its porosity is 30–90%. If, for any reason, there is an alteration in the strain the cancellous is subjected to, there is a rearrangement of the trabeculae. The microscopic difference between compact and cancellous bone is that compact bone consists of haversian sites and osteons, while cancellous bones do not. Also, bone surrounds blood in the compact bone, while blood surrounds bone in the cancellous bone.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
mihaella Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you so much, I really mean it, the time you guys invest in it, really appreciate it.That answered my question :-)
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Thank you so much, I really mean it, the time you guys invest in it, really appreciate it.That answered my question :-)

NP but make sure you put it in your own words!
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1244 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?