w
j
a
a
KarineShine KarineShine
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A patient presents to the clinic for illness, and the sick role is legitimized by the provider. The nurse recognizes this as what stage of illness according to Suchman's Model?

a. III
  b. II
  c. I
  d. IV
Read 58 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
ANS: A
In stage III (Medical care contact), professional advice from health care providers is sought by the individual. A professional health care provider identifies and validates the illness and legitimizes the sick role. During stage II (Assumption of the sick role), the person decides that the illness is genuine and that care is necessary. This stage gives an individual permission to act sick and to be excused temporarily from typical social and personal obligations. During stage I (Symptom experience), a clinical manifestation of disease is experienced, and the person acknowledges that something is wrong and seeks a cure. The outcome of stage I is that the person accepts the reality of symptoms and decides to take action in seeking care. During stage IV (Dependent patient role), the person, who is designated as a patient, usually undergoes treatment. During this stage, patients often feel dependent on others and may experience ambivalent or fearful thoughts that cause them to reject treatment, the advice of health care providers, and the illness.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  887 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 405