a
t
i
r
GaiaGirl95 GaiaGirl95
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
10 years ago
Just wondering if I'm the only one humans can catch fire from their own body heat it's a scientific fact. Recently there was a man named Frank Baker who survived this and a baby in India named Rahul.
Read 1588 times
16 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Do you have a source for this ?
Miz  Bee
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
Skins burns at a much higher temperature than 100o F, a typical high fever.

I'd be brain dead well before my body can generate >200o F.
Sunshine ☀ ☼
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Frank baker it was on the Science Channel it said cells could heat up and set a person aflame! it does not have to be generalized heat only local heat which explains why these people survived it.
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
If you're so gullible to believe in something like this, then you should also believe in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy - they've also had their fair share of television glory.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Well have multiple adults been in the news saying they've seen Santa Claus? There's a difference between a magical guy and enzymes producing too much heat.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
I have to say 2 things:
1) Why do you ask us questions when you are so sure about the answer? If you are not going to listen to us and keep saying your nonsense stuff, then there is no sense in asking the question in the first place.

2) You said your story and that's all. Stop desperately trying to persuade others about your beliefs. It is obvious that no one believes you and that's not gonna change, so by persisting so much you tire and frustrate the people.
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, duddy
Well have multiple adults been in the news saying they've seen Santa Claus?

Actually, yes. But, most end up in mental institutions.

Interestingly, you've started this exact same commotion elsewhere:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Frank+baker&oq=Frank+baker&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j0l3.357j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Frank+baker+science+channel
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
It isn't nonsense if it's possibility is backed up by scientific journals, as i gave a link in the thread about protein (example: PRIONS) withstanding temperatures close to combustion due to many disulfide bonds. your assertion that all enzymes would denature is wrong. there could be many enzymes in our body that have so many disulfide bonds they would survive very very high temperatures too, either via mutation or some other natural process.
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Not all enzymes possess disulfide bonds; they are mostly found in secretory proteins, lysosomal proteins, and the exoplasmic domains of membrane proteins. Therefore, other forces do stabilize the protein.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
but lets assume a mutated enzyme had lots of disulfide bonds that made it resistant to temperatures above say 100 C and this enzyme had the active site config to metabolize some drug out of chance.. would the enzyme work?
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
If a mutation occurred in a local area, within a single cell, those enzymes wouldn't be functional. The enzymes designed for the human body are in some ways perfect for our survival as nature stands today.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
so why wouldnt the enzymes be functional if they had additional disulfide bonds which allowed them to keep their teritary structure at 100 C?
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
It would be too stiff. Enzymes move into shape to accommodate the ligand it's designed for.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1328 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370