a
t
i
r
spliceofslife spliceofslife
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
10 years ago
I have attached the data. I'm having trouble with part B. So this is what i have processed (sorta a repeat of its description)

They took chromatin from cells grown in glucose and galactose

Ran a limited digest with Mnase( wont cut where nucleosomes are)

The DNA was then isolated (which i presume means that the histones and proteins were removed)

It was then fully digested with EcoRI ( only EcoRI sites know from data is shown in part A)

So to sum up what ive processed. We have a dna that was digested pretty evenly with mnase, then further cut these dna pieces with a restriction enzyme

Now this is where i am completely lost and ANY help would be greatly appreciated. It says it was southern blotted "with a probe targeted to the sequence indicated in A"

So why is there so many bands? shouldn't it only be binding to the GAL1 gene? And what is this gel even suppose to be telling me?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 503 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Yes, that seems quite strange.
I'd expect that the glu1 gene was cut in various random sites from mnase. Note that, it specifies that the digestion is "limited" meaning there should be lots of different random pieces. So, each band could represent a separate piece of this gene.

So, what is the meaning of this southern blotting? Maybe it is used to determine whether the gene is active or not. Remember that a mnase cuts more often the single stranded DNA. Since the strands of an active gene are separated, the mnase will cut more often the active gene, and will produce more bands.
In our case, the gene should be active at the yeast grown in galactose. So, in the corresponding southern blotting, we should expect more bands.
To be honest I don't see notable difference between the two southern blotting. However, with some imagination, you could distinguish a couple of extra bands found only at galactose-grown cells.

I'm not sure if that helped... I don't even know if it makes any sense. I hope someone with more knowledge will help us figure it out.
spliceofslife Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I think the difference we are suppose to be noticing between the two blots is at the UAS site. In gal the bands(which i presume to be chromatin) are shifted upwards. Maybe this is telling us when Gal is present, chromatin remodeling is occuring to allow for the Gal1 gene to be activated
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
I think now I understood more about the certain mechanism. Mnase cleavages the DNA out of the nucleosomes. As I said earlier, each band represents a part of the gene. But, if you see carefully, you will notice that the distance between the bands (in bps) is constant. I think this means that, the first band represents the DNA located in one nucleosome, the 2nd band is the total DNA in 2 nucleosomes etc. That is possible, because the digest is limited, so there should be some cases where the DNA between two nucleosomes was not cleaved.

That makes perfect sense, but now we must explain the hard part... Why are the blots different?
The main difference between the two blots is located somewhere between the 3rd and the 4th band. There is a dark spot there (an extra band?).

We could hastily conclude that, when the gene is active, some changes at the UAS promoter is causing the certain region of DNA to remodel, possibly driving away the certain nucleosome and allowing the mnase to cleave the certain site. (see attachment. The circle DNA part represents the new band on the gal plot)
But the problem is that the mnase would be able to produce many more combinations of DNA, which would produce much more bands....

Concluding, I can't find any specific mechanism that could explain these results... sorry Frowning Face . I either didn't fully understand the mechanism of mnase or the exercise has some faults...
I also don't know if I was understandable, so ask if you want.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1248 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431