e
s
s
e
GaiaGirl95 GaiaGirl95
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
10 years ago
I was in bio class then the teacher said cells cannot get very hot because enzymes denature. humans can catch fire from their own body heat it's a scientific fact. so she told us the wrong thing. Recently there was a man named Frank Baker who survived this and his doctor told him he burnt from the inside out, and a baby in India named Rahul. It was on the News and on the Science Channel. I told her that and she ignored me so she knew she messed up. she's said this twice now. can i report her for spreading mis-information?
Read 1918 times
23 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Are you delusional? Your teacher is obviously right, and you're completely wrong. Don't be an annoying student, listen and learn.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Tell Frank Baker, Jack Angel, and baby Rahul that !!!!!!!! one who says that in there face would be like what happened to that conspiracy theorist with Buzz Aldrin !
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Stop using those people as proof. You don't even know they exist. Your teacher is merely providing facts that he/she picked up from *countless* years of research which states that enzymes stop functioning at a certain temperature. You can do this experiment yourself, at home, so please stop mentioning those people. This is a science forum, not some conspiracy theory website, so accept the facts or choose another hobby.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, GaiaGirl95
what makes rogue prions (which are proteins) so heat resistant is the fact they have many disulfide bonds. What if an enzyme was produced that had lots of disulfide bonds? prions can't be inactivated even if cooked!
Post Merge: 10 years ago

http://www.jbc.org/content/276/4/2427.full
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Don't change the subject. You went from enzymes to prions. Who are you going to report your teacher to? The science police?
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
It's the same subject. you said enzymes denature but prions ARE proteins and they do not denature because they have many disulfide bonds. if an enzyme had many disulfide bonds then it'd be as heat resistant as a prion, and prions only break down upon combustion . I just looked this up . SHC seems VERY plausible now.
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Disulfide bonds stabilize enzymes. Multiple disulphide bonds render the enzyme useless, since they need to alter their shape once a ligand is bonded for the reaction to proceed forward.

Case closed.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
10 years ago
Are you contesting the fact that enzymes denature under high heat? Because that's a scientific fact that you can demonstrate with a simple experiment. Even if your claim is true (which it likely isn't), that does not change the fact proteins denature at high temps because bonds break, which affects folding/protein structure and renders the enzyme nonfunctional.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Prions aren't enzymes...
I feel like I'm fueling you to keep going, but no one said that every enzyme in the world denatures in high temperatures.

We currently talk about enzymes found in human metabolic paths. These enaymes denature in high heat.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, GaiaGirl95
but what if these enzymes contain a lot of disulfide bonds for some reason?
Post Merge: 10 years ago

also read my link. additional disulfide bonds make an enzyme denature at higher temperatures and increase its heat resistance 170 fold.
wrote...
10 years ago
Reporting your teacher for presenting facts is like reporting to the police that a stop sign isn't doing its job haha
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
but what if these enzymes contain a lot of disulfide bonds for some reason?

This isn't something found in human beings, so remind me again why your teacher is wrong. Furthermore, prions and enzymes are totally different, and those results found in that article are theoretical - done in vitro.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
10 years ago
It is scientifically proven that enzymes denature under high temperatures. Don't report your teacher for this, it isn't worth it. She has the degree, and although it is highly encouraged to ask questions when you do not understand something, just let this one go.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  938 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion