s
a
t
i
r
Anonymous CuriousCurious
wrote...
9 months ago
-Can someone lose the ability to tan permanently after long periods without sunlight?

The text i wrote:  "The number of functional melanocytes (the cells that produce melanin) decreases with age. melanocytes situated on sun exposed areas of your body produce more efficiently melanin over the time. Areas that are less often sun exposed lack this training effect so they will tan slower and get more DNA damage after sun exposure.
Inside the melanocytes there are melanosomes, in the melanosomes tyrosine is transformed into melanin. Melanosomes then are transported to the keratinocytes (Outer layer skin), there melanosomes will protect the cell nucleus, using the melanin to absorb the ultraviolet from the sun, reducing the amount that reach the dna inside the nucleus. "

I hope this is right but i still dont know the proper answer to the question. Can someone that tanned easily lose this ability? And this question also made me curious about a topic: Do we have sufficient evidence that this tan ability can be genetic? Because i never saw a pale surfist.
Read 141 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
Hello, welcome!

Even though the production of melanin isn't as profound as it is in one's youth, it doesn't imply that a person will not be able to tan. We know that once skin is exposed to UV radiation, it increases the production of melanin in an attempt to protect the skin from further damage. This process continues forever as a protective measure against UV radiation.
wrote...
9 months ago
Hello, welcome! Even though the production of melanin isn't as profound as it is in one's youth, it doesn't imply that a person will not be able to tan. We know that once skin is exposed to UV radiation, it increases the production of melanin in an attempt to protect the skin from further damage. This process continues forever as a protective measure against UV radiation.

Hello. Yes, everyone can tan and melanin increases to protect the skin. But the question is why this "Even though the production of melanin isn't as profound as it is in one's youth" happens, and if the lack of sunglight would impact permanently the number of, for example, Melanosomes, making it harder to tan.
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
I got the impression you were saying as you get less and less sunlight, your body will get accustomed to not making melanin, and hence you're more susceptible to sunburn due to a lack of melanin production. IF that is was you were implying, I disagree with that notion, unless you can provide some sort of evidence that suggests this.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1346 People Browsing
Related Images