f
a
d
c
sheldon sheldon
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
This diagram ( attached below ) shows the effects of stress at the cellular level. Explain any two processes here and how it is stress related.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 5007 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
See the glucocorticoid?

Glucocorticoid enters the cell and binds to the GR. The GR changes conformation and the heat shock proteins fall off.

The activated GR/glucocorticoid complex binds to another, forming a homodimer, and this complex enters the nucleus through a transport protein.

The GR interacts with the cell's DNA, upregulating the production of a pro-apoptotic signal, bax. The message leaves the nucleus, is translated by a ribosome, and travels to a mitochondrion, where it binds to the membrane.

Pores form in the mitochondria and cytochrome c is released. Cytochrome c is very important to respiration, so when it leaves the mitochondria, respiration ceases. The cell is now committed to apoptosis.

Cytochrome c, with the help of a another molecule, Apoptosis Activation Factor-1 (Apaf-1), activates the caspases.

The caspases:

Activate endonucleases. Endonucleases destroy the cell's DNA. Cleave PARP. PARP normally repairs damaged DNA. When PARP is cleaved by caspases, it no longer functions, hastening destruction of the DNA by endonucleases. Cleave important enzymes– some are deactivated; others, deregulated. The deregulation of enzymes catalyzing structural protein formation leads to apoptosis' charactersitic blebbing of the cell's membrane

Phosphatidyl serine, a molecule normally found on the inside of the cell's membrane, is flipped to the outside (probably by cytochrome c.) Macrophages thus recognize the cell, and engulf and digest the blebs. The cell's contents are not released, thus there is no inflammation and damage to the surrounding tissues.
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
wow thanks so much  Face with Open Mouth  Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
one question though, is this all one process or  how many   Thinking Face
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
One cellular process leads to the other.
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
im sorry its really late and im slow  Face with Rolling Eyes
so its Glucocoticoids (first process) leading to The caspases (second process) ?
and thanks for your help a lot !!!!
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Glucocorticoid binds to GR Rightwards Arrow GR binds to DNA to produce BAX mRNA Rightwards Arrow BAX proteins are formed Rightwards Arrow they bind to the mitochondria Rightwards Arrow mitochondria is disrupted Rightwards Arrow it releases cytochrome c Rightwards Arrow this initiates apoptosis Rightwards Arrow cell dies Frowning Face
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
oooh so you explained more than two process for me.
mhmm this is excellent thanks very much Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration
you wouldnt mind if i use this for my assignment ?
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
oooh so you explained more than two process for me.
mhmm this is excellent thanks very much Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration
you wouldnt mind if i use this for my assignment ?

Not at all, it's all yours. Just make sure to manipulate it into your own words Wink Face
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
okay thanks again but um do you have the link to were you got it from or the website so i can include that in my work cited.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
okay thanks again but um do you have the link to were you got it from or the website so i can include that in my work cited.

Good question, I forgot the link, sorry. Are they expecting you to cite your work? Just curious.
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
yes they do  Face with Rolling Eyes
sheldon Author
wrote...
12 years ago
but i can make up one Slight Smile
thanks a lot for your help !
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
but i can make up one Slight Smile
thanks a lot for your help !

Exactly.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1057 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292