s
a
t
i
r
lawyerflaw lawyerflaw
wrote...
13 years ago
What's the difference between the three types and what transfer genes/sequences do they contain?
Read 3029 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Conjugative plasmids contain so-called tra-genes, which perform the complex process of conjugation, the transfer of plasmids to another bacterium.

Non-conjugative plasmids are incapable of initiating conjugation, hence they can only be transferred with the assistance of conjugative plasmids, by 'accident'.

An intermediate class of plasmids are mobilizable, and carry only a subset of the genes required for transfer. They can 'parasitize' a conjugative plasmid, transferring at high frequency only in its presence.

Anything else, reply back!
lawyerflaw Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thanks for your reply. And now applying this knowledge...

In a conjugation experiment, donor cells have a conjugative plasmid with tetR (tetracyline resistant) genes and has a mobile plasmid with CM^R (chloramphenicol resistant) genes.

Recipients have tetS (for sensitive) genes and have NA^R (naladixic acid resistant) genes.

Spread cells on plates that contain naladixic acid plus chloramphenicol.

Question one: Show the possibilities for the plasmid content of cells on this plate.

Question two: If we try to use these cells as donors in conjugation, what will happen?
A. They will all be donors
B. None of them will be donors
C. A few will be donors and most will not

wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I believe that the recipient cells will have the tetracyline resistant genes and chloramphenicol resistant genes since they are being transfered over by donor cells.

If we try to use these cells as donors in conjugation, what will happen?

Since we do not have anything that kills the donor cells - the ones mentioned with the resistant genes - they will continue to grow. Therefore, I'm guessing that they will all be donors because the recipients will have acquired the F plasmid along with genes that ensure resistance.

What are your thought?
lawyerflaw Author
wrote...
13 years ago
The correct answer is actually C.

But I don't know the reason behind it.   Undecided

Would it have something to do with the mobile plasmids with CM^R genes?

wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I initially put C but then changed my mind Undecided. The ones that don't die are the recipients while the donors die off because of the naladixic acid. Thus, the ones that are dividing are those that are resistant to all.
lawyerflaw Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I initially put C but then changed my mind Undecided. The ones that don't die are the recipients while the donors die off because of the naladixic acid. Thus, the ones that are dividing are those that are resistant to all.

Ok just to clarify... so the genes (ie in this case it's the NA^R gene) in the recipient will never be given to the donor?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Remember, a conjugative plasmid is able to promote the transfer of (mobilize) a second, otherwise non- conjugative, plasmid from the same donor cell. So the recipient gets the chloramphenicol resistant genes from the donor. The recipients has tetS (for sensitive) genes and have NA^R (naladixic acid resistant) genes. Once the cells are spread on the plate that contain naladixic acid plus chloramphenicol, the donor die off while the recipient survives because it have both genes resistant to these chemicals. The donor cells are not resistant to naladixic acid so the die off.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1316 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4