c
p
n
C
z
amin19 amin19
wrote...
12 years ago
Your task is to design an experiment to test prepared laboratory samples to identify.

1) a normal person
2) an insulin dependent patient
3) a mild diabetes mellitus insulin-independent patient

You are given three beakers containing 100 mL of prepared samples marked patient A, patient B, and patient C. The random samples represent a normal person, an insulin-dependent patient, and an insulin independent patient.

Equipment Available
         - All normal laboratory equipment such as test tubes, test tube racks, beakers, drop plates, graduated cylinders, thermometers, measuring spoons, hot plates, test tube tongs, oven mitts, masking tape, towels, and marking pencils.

Reagents and preparations available
         - Biurets reagent, Benedict's solution, Urine analysis glucose test strips, amylase, pepsin, 2% HCl solution, sodium bicarbonate, bile extract, soap, and distilled water.

QUESTIONS

1) Based on the information provided, form a hypothesis for your experiment. Please include the words glucose, higher or lower, normal, and diabetes mellitus.

2) Using the lab materials available, create a procedure to identify which sample could belong to each of the three patients. Keep in mind that you must perform TWO laboratory tests.

HINT
( The procedure must contain numbered sentences. Your procedure must be clear so that any Biology 30 student can take your directions, use the above experiment, and obtain expected results)
HINT
(Color changes with the indicator are not instant (time) )
HINT
(How many test tubes will you use? Three is not the correct answer)

3) Identify the independent variable in this experiment

4) Identify the dependent variable in this experiment

5) Identify the controlled variable in this experiment

Read 15457 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Just a short question before answering, what textbook are you using Question Mark Thinking Face
Biology!
wrote...
12 years ago
3) Identify the independent variable in this experiment

- A mild diabetes mellitus insulin-independent patient

4) Identify the dependent variable in this experiment

- An insulin dependent patient

5) Identify the controlled variable in this experiment

- Normal Human
Naomizhang
Biology!
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
I'm wondering too!
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
amin19 Author
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, amin19
Inquiry Into Biology

McGraw-Hill Ryerson

Although i'm taking Bio 30 in correspondance, and this is how the question is stated.

This may help but the insulin dependent and insulin independent patients relate to someone with diabetes mellitus.
wrote...
12 years ago
Hypothesis

Since a healthy individual is capable of producing a sufficient amount of insulin, blood-glucose levels will be lower than in a person who has mild diabetes mellitus. The individual who is insulin-dependent may also have normal blood-glucose levels, but this solely depends on when the insulin was injected. Thus, we predict that patient 1 and 2 will have normal blood-glucose levels in comparison to patient 3, who will have slightly higher glucose readings.
colbster,  Hkaur,  Girlywhirly,  sciekid
Biology!
amin19 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
as the question states would you be able to list in order the steps for this procedure, and the hypothesis.

Thanks Slight Smile
amin19 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
procedure please, i really need help with this. THANKS Slight Smile
amin19 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
i really need procedure help would be nice Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Without actually writing it (I can, bit it takes a while to do Face with Stuck-out Tongue), read up on this old paper's procedure. It could give you an idea on how it's done Face with Rolling Eyes
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
maxwells10,  bio30sucker,  fifixoxoo,  tyra,  sciekid,  Cathy2121,  jvisser14
- Bachelor of Science
amin19 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
I looked through the article you posted, but I'm still having trouble with my issue of answering this question. It's worth 10 marks and i'd really really appreciate it if you could help me out. It doesnt need to be crazy detailed like a university lab, just something that's sufficient for a grade 12 student, its supposed to be like instructions or a procedure that you would give a student to follow if they wanted to conduct this experiment
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Equipment Available
         - All normal laboratory equipment such as test tubes, test tube racks, beakers, drop plates, graduated cylinders, thermometers, measuring spoons, hot plates, test tube tongs, oven mitts, masking tape, towels, and marking pencils.

Reagents and preparations available
         - Biurets reagent, Benedict's solution, Urine analysis glucose test strips, amylase, pepsin, 2% HCl solution, sodium bicarbonate, bile extract, soap, and distilled water.

You will need mainly Benedict's solution, Urine analysis glucose test strips, and distilled water (just in case).

Benedict's reagent is used as a test for the presence of reducing sugars. This includes all monosaccharides and the disaccharides, lactose and maltose.

Take a urine sample of all three. The normal guy will be your control.

To test for the presence of monosaccharides and reducing disaccharide sugars in the urine, the urine sample is dissolved in water, and a small amount of Benedict's reagent is added. During a water bath, which is usually 4–10 minutes, the solution should progress in the colors of blue (with no glucose present), green, yellow, orange, red, and then brick red or brown (with high glucose present). A colour change would signify the presence of glucose.

Depending on what colour you obtain from mixing the Benedicts with the urine, this will tell you the intensity of the sugars found in the urine. Typically, urine containing high sugar concentration indicates a problem (i.e. diabetes). If there is no colour change (I mean, if it turns blue ONLY), sugar concentrations are probably low and the person doesn't have diabetes.

The same can be done using the strips. If there is a notable physical change in the strips, the person has diabetes. If not, they're okay. This is called a urinalysis.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
3 years ago
thank you
wrote...
3 years ago
thank you
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1051 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 395

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?