t
k
j
e
haii207 haii207
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I have look up definitions and have the one in my textbook but i was just hoping someone could summarize it in simpler terms.
Thanks so much !
Love this website by the way its a total godsend Slight Smile
Read 2416 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
I have look up definitions and have the one in my textbook but i was just hoping someone could summarize it in simpler terms.

The amnion encases the young embryonic body in a fluid-filled chamber that protects the embryo against mechanical trauma and temperature extremes. As the embryo grows, the amnion comes to entirely surround the embryo, creating a cavity that becomes filled with amniotic fluid. Most amniotic fluid is initially derived from a filtrate of maternal blood. Later, the fetus makes daily contributions to the fluid by excreting urine into the amniotic cavity. Amniotic fluid serves as a shock absorber for the fetus, helps regulate fetal body temperature and prevents adhesions between the skin of the fetus and surrounding tissues. Embryonic cells are sloughed off into amniotic fluid: they can be examined in the procedure called amniocentesis. The amnion usually ruptures just before birth and with its fluid constitutes the “bag of waters.”   

Hope this helps.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
12 years ago
As a protective fluid in the growth and development of the fetus, amniotic fluid serves as a 'cushion' to protect the fetus against external trauma. It also serves as a lubricant to prevent adhesion to the amnion and to permit fetal mobility.
could of, should of, would of...
haii207 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
thanks muchly !
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
thanks muchly !

You're welcome muchly lol
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1072 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 315