s
m
c
c
uniquename uniquename
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A patient has been treated with opioids for a year to manage back pain. After successful surgery, the patient's pain is greatly improved.

The patient reports, I stopped taking my pain medication when I got home from the hospital, but I got very sick with diarrhea and generalized pain. Se-lect the nurse's best response. a. This is a common idiosyncratic effect. Over-the-counter antidiarrheals and non-steroidal agents will help you ride it out.
  b. Restart the pain medication. It is now required for life because you have toler-ance toward opioids.
  c. You are experiencing toxicity from the drugs used during the hospitalization and will need to be rehospitalized.
  d. Your reaction is associated with physical dependence on opioids. We will design a tapering dose schedule to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.
Read 32 times
2 Replies