f
j
b
c
smith2014 smith2014
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I have a question for my nutrition class if amino acids are stored in the body for energy. Can anyone help me with that please?
Read 676 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
not exactly! Some amino acids are used to produce energy so the more you take in the better (sometimes). an example would be Glutamine and its role in the TCA cycle!
smith2014 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you!
wrote...
10 years ago
Amino acids are not stored in the body like fats or carbohydrate; there are no specialized cells in the body to maintain a reservoir.  Of course, amino acids are ubiquitous, being present in structural proteins, enzymes, transport proteins, etc

Source - http://www.uic.edu/classes/phar/phar332/Clinical_Cases/aa%20metab%20cases/PKU%20Cases/essential-nonessential.htm
smith2014 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
thank you!
wrote...
10 years ago
To add, amino acids can also be manufactured in the body - they are called nonessential amino acids. Eating foods that contain protein are broken down by proteases. These enzymes real these free amino acids where they are used into protein synthesis. An excess of amino acids are converted into energy.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1077 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 302