Read 389 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
What textbook are you using?

Heavy metals:

1. Act by precipitation of proteins and oxidation of sulfydryl groups. They are bacteriostatic.
2. Concentrate within the cytoplasm.
3. Silver nitrate solution (applied topically in neonate eyes to kill bacterial infections).

In terms of what they do to the host, I'm not 100% sure, but they do act as antimicrobial agents.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Several metal ions, especially heavy metals, show this effect to various degrees. The exact mechanism of action is still unknown. Bacteria are in general affected by the oligodynamic effect. Viruses in general are not very sensitive to this effect. This disparity suggests that the mechanisms exerting the most influence over toxicity are interfering with metabolism, since viruses are not considered to be metabolically active outside their host range.

Data from silver suggest that these ions denature enzymes of the target cell or organism by binding to reactive groups, resulting in their precipitation and inactivation. Silver inactivates enzymes by reacting with the thiol groups to form silver sulfides. Silver also reacts with the amino-, carboxyl-, phosphate-, and imidazole-groups and diminish the activities of lactate dehydrogenase and glutathione peroxidase.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Sjr123 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Text: Microbiology with Diseases by Body System, 3rd edition, Robert W. Bauman.
My assignment question : For each of the following chemicals, describe the mode of action (what does it do to the cell? What part of the cell structure is damaged and/or what vital chemicals are effected?) Give specific examples of its use-commercially? In a hospital or clinic, at home?
The list is pretty long and I have completed all but the one heavy metal Gold. Mercury and silver were on the list but I am good with those. I can not figure out Gold.....
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1243 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352