m
s
c
k
darwinfinch darwinfinch
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
I plan to experiment with girdling the stems of Canadian Thistle on our property using sandpaper or other materials. The idea is to remove a section of phloem around the stem, near the base, to interrupt transport of sugars from leaves to the roots. This will also keep the leaves in place to continue transpiring and pulling water/nutrients out of the roots, essentially starving the roots while draining them too. This approach is being considered because with Canadian Thistle, the roots are the hardest part to kill, and I'm interested in mechanical control methods vs chemical.

Does anyone know if the phloem/xylem structure of a hollow stem like that of the thistle will make this possible? I'd like to use food coloring to mark and observe these structures in a cross section, but have yet to perform that experiment. I'm not sure if the xylem of a thistle stem is just the hollow center (pith), or if there's an actual series of cells near the hollow. If anyone's interested, I'll post images of the coloring experiment soon.

Concerns: girdling too early in the season could lead to more numerous flowers/seeds, as is the goal with girdling apple trees. Also, will thistles be too good at regenerating phloem?  Is it possible to damage the phloem and keep the plant standing?

Other thoughts? Advice? Resources?

Thanks!
df
Read 687 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Hello darwinfinch,

I have heard of girdling tree trunks, but never smaller plants - this is very interesting. In addition, thistles are flowering plants, so how are you going to distinguish what the phloem is as you're girdling its epidermis?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
darwinfinch Author
wrote...
10 years ago
If in flowering plants, the phloem and xylem do not exhibit an "inside and outside" structure like trees, then that's a fact I was ignorant of and will obviously affect this experiment.

I hope the phloem of a thistle stem can be targeted simply by exfoliating or abrasing the outer layers of the stem. Understanding the structure is obviously important here, and I don't. The first step would seem to be to use the old food coloring trick and cut a cross section of the stem to identify the structures. I haven't been able to locate any resources online showing these structures specifically of Canadian Thistle.

I did a rough "girdling" of a few stems last night just to get started on some crude observations. We'll see if they survive. I assume that if the whole stem dies, the abrasion was too deep and interrupted xylem structures.

IF the stems survive after abrasion, can you think of a way to verify that the phloem has been interrupted?  Would water tinted with food coloring, applied to leaves, travel down the phloem structures of the stem and be observable? If the phloem was successfully interrupted, would the coloring be visible above the abrasion but not below? These are things I plan to test.

If anyone has any wisdom to share (I'm pretty ignorant on all of this haha), I'd love to read it. Thanks!
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
In stems of plants, you get structures like this (attachments) - therefore, it's not necessarily on the outside of the stem like in trees.
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1012 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587