d
l
a
mihaella mihaella
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
experiment: hydrolysis of starch with help of amylase

Hello everyone. I don't know how to study for the lab. My teacher is very confusing, I have a problem reading the graphs and understand the experiment . I really need a help.
1.Our teacher said that the lower the absorbance number, the best optimal the activity(?).
2. Is it true,let's say we have in absorbance graph for [e] or Temp the results 2, 4, 6, 8 ( written on X axis) ( Y axis is absorbance) , so the lowest number is 2, this means at 2 we have the best optimal activity. ?
3.the grapg goes from left to right, from up tp down(?)

She said we should be able to read the same graph if she will change the absorbance into activity and /or transmittance. With the same numbers, if we wanna see the activity, not the absorbance or the transmittance, the grapg goes from left to right from down to up(?)
so, which number would be the optimal activity? or the question would be , which number would be the optimal absorbance?

is it true that always the activity and transmittance is opposite as absorbance?

She wrote something on the blackboard and I don't know what if means:

4. Potassium ionide ---bonds to starch----bark blue? what does this means? I only know starch should be the substrate

5. and she wrote: Glucose----less light-----clearer blue---what does this means?
6. absorbance high 2@the beginning =high starch=low activity...   what does this mean?

7. what does the pH solutions are in this experiment , means and what IKI( potassium ionide solutions means, are?
8.Amylase is the enzyme, starch is substrate, glucose is product(?)

Read 1043 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
1.Our teacher said that the lower the absorbance number, the best optimal the activity(?).

This means the less the solution can absorb light, so less foggy or the easier the light can transmit through it, the more active it is.

2. Is it true,let's say we have in absorbance graph for [e] or Temp the results 2, 4, 6, 8 ( written on X axis) ( Y axis is absorbance) , so the lowest number is 2, this means at 2 we have the best optimal activity. ?

Means that it's most optimal at 2 degrees.

3.the grapg goes from left to right, from up tp down(?)

That means as time passes by, the situation becomes less optimized.

She said we should be able to read the same graph if she will change the absorbance into activity and /or transmittance. With the same numbers, if we wanna see the activity, not the absorbance or the transmittance, the grapg goes from left to right from down to up(?)
so, which number would be the optimal activity? or the question would be , which number would be the optimal absorbance

Absorbance and transmittance are the opposite. If something is absorbing light, than it's not transmitting light either.

4. Potassium ionide ---bonds to starch----bark blue? what does this means? I only know starch should be the substrate

This chemical bonds to starch, giving it a colour. So, if you see bark blue, that means starch was present.

7. what does the pH solutions are in this experiment , means and what IKI( potassium ionide solutions means, are?

This means, are the solutions acidic or basic (high PH means more basic, low PH means more acidic).
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
mihaella Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Unsure about this one... Thanks Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Glad I was able to shed some light, you're welcome.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1145 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?