× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
09mohamf 09mohamf
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions (some of them I have provided my answer, reassurance is helpful too). Most of them are based on the results of my lab. Thanks in advance.

1) What are the morphological differences between erythrocytes of birds and mammals?
      - The fact that mammals are a-nucleated (unlike birds that have a nucleus) so that there is more room for Hemoglobin so that mammals can carry more oxygen per cell.

2) Which species has a higher hematocrit level?
      - Birds. (Why though? - does it have to do with the fact that birds live in higher altitudes..)

3) Which species has a higher RBC count? How does this compare to their hematocrit? What could account for this?
      - Birds have have a higher RBC count. This relates to the higher hematocrit because (hematocrit = RBC column/total blood column) so a greater numerator means a greater hematocrit..I don't know what accounts for this Confounded Face

4) How can you account for the differences between species in the MCV (Mean Corpuscle Volume: the average volume of a single red blood cell), MCH (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin: the average amount of hemoglobin in each red blood cell), & MCHC (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration: the average concentration of hemoglobin per unit total blood volume)?
       - I am lost for the MCV and MCHC but I explained from the first response for MCH..
Read 6109 times
1 Reply