a
t
i
r
LoveSick LoveSick
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Explain how sensory coding and processing allow the central nervous system to communicate information on the four properties of a stimulus.
Read 1401 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
9 years ago
I believe the four properties are modality (nature), location , Intensity, and Duration of the Stimulus.
LoveSick Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I believe the four properties are modality (nature), location , Intensity, and Duration of the Stimulus.
Forgot to Log in >.<
wrote...
9 years ago
nature, location, intensity, and duration
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
nature, location, intensity, and duration

You wouldn't happen to have the answer to this?
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, Meemzy
no i dont!!
Post Merge: 9 years ago

The four properties of a stimulus are nature, location, intensity and duration.
Nature: this is where sensory neurons are activated and neurons terminate in the brain. Each receptor type is sensitive to a certain modality and the brain will associate a certain signal coming from a specific group with a specific modality. Labeled line coding is 1:1 association with receptor sensation.
Location: this is where stimulus is coded by where receptive fields are activated. However, auditory information is the exception. This is due to it being sensitive to different frequencies and timing and uses timing of receptor activation to determine location. Lateral inhibition increases the contrast between activated receptive fields and population coding uses multiple receptors functioning together.
Intensity: this is coded by the number of receptors that are activated and the frequency of action potentials.
Duration: This codes for the duration of action potentials and some receptors can adapt to cease to respond. Tonic receptors adapt slowly so it can be monitored consciously while phasic receptors adapt rapidly to ignore irrelevant information. This would be like players on a football field who ignore the chants of the crowd so they can focus more on the game which is what is consciously importan
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1202 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370