a
t
i
r
professor professor
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
hey there bio fanatics, i just have a question concerning vertebrates and invertebrates birth i translated from french to English , i came up with indirect birth for invertebrates and direct birth for vertebrates it doesn't sound biological correct could anyone assist me , just by giving me the correct terms for each ...
Read 1232 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I don't think that's the correct terminology. Do you mind sending the French version; I speak French Slight Smile
professor Author
wrote...
13 years ago
hi bio man
i dont have the terminology close by i dont speak French at all if you do what im talking about you could give the general biological terms concerning indirect and direct birth. im teaching at a french school so the notes is in french but our medium of instruction is English. do you possible have the correct term for this. bear in mind its for primary school   
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Since it's primary school, start off my discussing animals that are vertebrates and animals that are classified as invertebrates. Those that are invertebrates, such as jellyfish, octopi, or any insect either produce eggs or larva. In the adult stage of a jellyfish, they can reproduce sexually by releasing sperm and eggs into the water. In this larval stage of jellyfish life, the larva hooks on to the bottom of a smooth rock or other structure and grows into another stage of jellyfish life, the polyp. During this stage, asexual reproduction occurs.

Rather than using the word direct and indirect, use the term fragmentation. Fragmentation is a mode of asexual reproduction where a new offspring grows from a fragment of the parent - this occurs in star fish.

It's kind of hard to answer this question because a lot of how invertebrates reproduce is similar to how lower level vertebrates reproduce. For example, parthenogenesis is process of asexual reproduction in which the unfertilized egg develops into a new organism. Parthenogenesis occurs in invertebrates like ants, water fleas, honey bees, aphids, parasitic wasps, and stick insects, and in vertebrates like amphibians, reptiles and fish.

I guess you could say that most invertebrates reproduce asexually (indirect) and most vertebrates reproduce sexually (directly), even though this is a major understatement.

Hope this helped.
professor Author
wrote...
13 years ago
thanks bio man
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
thanks bio man

Pleasure to help.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1340 People Browsing
Related Images