a
t
i
r
blondibear blondibear
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
I am stuck on this homework question, I'm not sure if I am stuck on the wording but I am thinking between C and D. My studies have shown that both the egg and the sperm enter the fallopian tube that has been blocked by damage so I am totally confused. Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

Untreated chlamydia and gonorrhea can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease in women. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can cause a buildup of scar tissue on the Fallopian tubes.

Women affected with PID can become infertile because
Select one:
a. the fertilized egg cannot implant on the endometrium
b. the ovaries cannot secrete the necessary hormones to support an embryo
c. the ovum cannot be swept into the Fallopian tube
d. sperm is blocked from entering the Fallopian tubes to fertilize the egg
Read 106 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi, I like your username!

Untreated chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease in women. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can cause an accumulation of scar tissue in the fallopian tubes. Women affected with PID can become infertile because

A. The egg cannot be pulled into the fallopian tube

I believe the answer is (A) -- If PID infects the fallopian tubes, it can scar the lining of the tubes, making it more difficult for eggs to pass through. If a fertilized egg gets stuck and begins to grow inside the tube, it can cause the tube to burst, which can sometimes lead to severe and life-threatening internal bleeding.
blondibear Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thank you! I think I'm looking at it all wrong.  Confounded Face
blondibear Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Your answer is incorrect.
The Fallopian tubes may become blocked from untreated chlamydia and gonorrhea. If the Fallopian tubes become blocked, then the egg cannot pass into the womb and the sperm is unable to move in the opposite direction to reach the egg.
The correct answer is: sperm is blocked from entering the Fallopian tubes to fertilize the egg

Apparently it cannot even enter according to this assignment...
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Wow, that was unexpected. I even endorsed the answer thinking it was also right - real sorry. Thanks for the feedback
blondibear Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I think I am going to have to call my teacher tomorrow and get a breakdown, the wording on that cannot be correct. "Blocked from entering"...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1367 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?