d
a
g
j
marcusloh1991 marcusloh1991
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, marcusloh1991
Q)Consider a cell producing steroid(Cholesterol) hormones (e.g. testosterone secreting from the testis). Which 2 cell organelles would you expect to find lots of in the cell and explain why would you expect this?

My answer: Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum & Secretory Vesicles

-Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum is where lipids / cholesterol are synthesized as well as the detoxification of alcohols and drugs
-Secretory Vesicles which are membrane bounded by a lipid bilayer transports these proteins/hormones that buds into the cell membrane to release them into the extracellular of the cell by exocytosis.

My dilemma: Is the secretory vesicle/vesicles considered an organelle? I'm really unsure as i cannot think of any other organelles other than the SER that produces and carries/produces steroids & hormones.

Would appreciate any help, thank you!
Read 355 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
My dilemma: Is the secretory vesicle/vesicles considered an organelle? I'm really unsure as i cannot think of any other organelles other than the SER that produces and carries/produces steroids & hormones.

Yes they are. You could also use Golgi Apparatus.
marcusloh1991 Author
wrote...
9 years ago

Yes they are. You could also use Golgi Apparatus.

Hmm, so from what you are saying the golgi apparatus does more than just modifying and packaging proteins. It also modifies and packages steroid hormones into vesicles for exocytosis?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
The two organelles that work hand in hand are the endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus. The secretory pathway is a series of steps a cell uses to move proteins out of the cell; a process known as secretion. The path of a protein destined for secretion has its origins in the rough endoplasmic reticulum, a membrane-bound compartment in the cell. The protein then proceeds through the many compartments of the Golgi apparatus and finally ends up in a vesicle that transiently fuses at the cell plasma membrane via permanent plasma membrane structures called porosomes, depositing the proteins outside of the cell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretory_pathway
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1946 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 119
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?