t
m
p
m
oliviaamy oliviaamy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A woman who recently had a miscarriage is in the clinic for follow-up. She sees the diagnosis spontaneous abortion on her chart and becomes visibly upset, stating, I did not have an abortion Which response by the nurse is best?

A.
  Don't be upset; that is just a medical term used commonly.
  B.
  I can come back and talk to you when you are not so upset.
  C.
  I see you are upset. Does it help to know this means miscarriage?
  D.
  No one is accusing you of having an abortion.
Read 26 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
ANS: C
The term spontaneous abortion is the medical term for miscarriage before 20 weeks' gestation. Medical terms are often confusing to laypeople, and it is the nurse's duty to inform patients of their meaning. Nurses should also be aware that the term abortion is politically and emotionally laden, so it should not be surprising that an uninformed layperson might become upset at its use. The nurse should acknowledge the woman's feelings and explain the term. Telling the woman not to be upset is paternalistic and does nothing to educate her. Offering to come back later would be a useful option after the nurse has acknowledged the woman's feelings and discovered that she does not want to talk right now; otherwise, this statement might seem like rejection. Stating that no one is accusing the woman of having an abortion is defensive.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1011 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 334

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?