k
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hello everyone
I will be giving a seminar about this article
Here in this link

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.ezproxy.aub.edu.lb/doi/10.1002/stem.1800/abstract;jsessionid=05117776C1F442E25F754458C8E331D4.f01t02

Could you help me come up with potential questions professors may quiz me or ask me about?? Slight Smile

Please, and thank you  Smiling Face with Halo
Read 517 times
10 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Hey ehd123, please download it and add it as an attachment. It won't let us access...
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hello bioman
I'm so sorry I didn't notice that
Here's the pdf Slight Smile
 Attached file 
(1460.93 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
How can combining lineage conversion and further lineage specification help to circumvent long-standing obstacles for the reprogramming of human cells into hematopoietic cells?

What clinical potential does do these approaches have?

Please specify examples pertaining to in vivo or in vitro approaches.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hey Padre, thank you so much these questions are great. Are these right?

How can combining lineage conversion and further lineage specification help to circumvent long-standing obstacles for the reprogramming of human cells into hematopoietic cells?

Well, some of the obstacles are that the producing, characterizing and differentiation  the cells is a length process, and may lead to neoplastic and malignant formations as well as fail to engraft. The lineage conversion and specification technique enable engraftment and maturation in an in vivo niche safely and without cancerous formations in a much shorter period of time.
I think :/

What clinical potential does do these approaches have?
It aids in bone marrow transplantations and stem-cell based therapies as well as blood transfusions
I think also :/

I don't get this question  Frowning Face Crying Face

B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, padre
I don't get this question

That about their methods here, the methods the scientists used.

*I meant talk about*
Tralalalala Slight Smile
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Oh I see.
Well, an example of the in vivo method would be the injection of human-converted fibroblasts CD34+/CD45- cells into the femurs of mice only to end up with human CD45+/CD45- murine cells and their detection in distant parts of the hematopoietic system such as the contralateral bone marrow, spleen and femur (injection site). Thus, showing that the in vivo niche was responsible for the maturation and migration of the cells.

In vitro would be culturing the cells on a dish to test their phagocytic capacity. For example, when the researchers transduced fibroblasts with Sox2 and miR-125b  obtaining CD34+ cells that were further differentiated into monocyte-like cells CD14+. The phagocytic capacity was tested in vitro by incubating some of these cells with opsonized beads with human serum. Another example would be the second differentiation test using CFU assays to confirm that maturation took place in vivo by being able to form a colony in a dish

Right?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
I've been through a panel like this before, ehd123, and most questions are derived from the discussion section, so make sure you understand what conclusions they have made and how they derived those conclusions.

In terms of answering your question whether you're right, I don't know. I didn't read the whole article - too time consuming - but I did skim through it enough to find some reasonable questions.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
That's a great tip! Will do! I understand the conclusions, but I am just a little afraid I would be asked about the details of the experiments. For example, how many cells were transnduced here, percentage of surviving cells is taken as the percentage from the initial or from the proliferated total number of cells, which cells were generated, these results were compared or normalized to what cells, etc. It is these tiny details I really don't like.

Also, must I include the discussion parts in my presentation? Or just be very familiar with it in case I was asked something and had to refer to it?

This seminar is not  my thesis, however the professor asking and judging will be treating it as such. He really refers to dodging all sorts of difficult questions as "grilling" the presenter, and this Friday, it's my turn to be grilled  Crying Face
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Also, must I include the discussion parts in my presentation? Or just be very familiar with it in case I was asked something and had to refer to it?

Yes, include the discussion parts. Or, you can include the results and take bits and pieces from the discussion and include that on each results slide.

This seminar is not  my thesis, however the professor asking and judging will be treating it as such. He really refers to dodging all sorts of difficult questions as "grilling" the presenter, and this Friday, it's my turn to be grilled

It's good practice then.You'll know what to improve on from there.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Thank you for the help Slight Smile Will do my best
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  992 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?