s
m
c
c
nika nika
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Mia was assigned to a project with a coworker she didnt know if she would get along with. In the past, the coworker often complained about assignments and accused others of not doing their fair share. Mia decided to take a different approach and try to set the relationship up for success from the beginning. Prior to her first meeting, she took a look at the work and determined what she thought a fair split would be based on time and her personal strengths. When she met with her coworker, she started by saying I havent really gotten a chance to know you since I started here. Mind if I learn a little more about your time here? She allowed the coworker to share her story and then they talked about the project at hand. She asked open ended questions such as What work would you most like to do? and listened for the answer. It turned out that there were some items they agreed on and some they didnt. Mia first acknowledged where they agreed and then assertively explained her reasoning on the ones they didnt. She made sure to document the final agreement and shared her approach with their immediate manager. She planned to keep her immediate manager informed on the status and ask for help if needed.

How can you handle a difficult relationship with positivity and assertiveness?
Read 19 times
1 Reply