A
B
j
s
folasade21 folasade21
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
1) An RC circuit has a resistance of 20M and a time constant of 100 sec. If the capacitor is charged to a voltage of 10v, what is the charge in coulombs in its plates?

2) A charged 1uF capacitor is connected in parallel with a 1M resistor. How long after the connection is made will the capacitor voltage drop to a) 50%, b) 10% and c) 2% of its initial value?

3) How many 1uF capacitors would need to be connected in parallel in order to store a charge of 1 coulomb with a potential of 200 volts across the capacitors?
Read 1833 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
1) An RC circuit has a resistance of 20M and a time constant of 100 sec. If the capacitor is charged to a voltage of 10v, what is the charge in coulombs in its plates?

Right away when I think of charge I think of Q = CV (since its asking for coulombs). I am thinking of using the question Q = CV(1-e-t/RC). The thing is that what is the capacitance if I'm using this... and what is t if I have the time constant already?
wrote...
12 years ago
Q = CV

First we must find C, because we have a given V(10V)

Your time constant(RC or tau) is given at 100 seconds.

Your resistance is given at 20M ohms.

tau = RC Rightwards Arrow 100 s = 20Mohm * C Rightwards Arrow C = 5uF

Q = CV = 5uF * 10V = 50 microcoulombs

t, is the time in seconds. That second equation you mentioned is solving for instantaneous charge on the plates.

Q = CV(1-e(-t/tau) = 5uF * 10V(1 - e(-100s/20M*5uF)

The 100 seconds is your time constant, so tau over tau equals one, which completely wipes away the rest of the equation and you are left with Q = CV.
wrote...
12 years ago
You need to find the capacitance of the capacitor (that's C in the equation Q = CV), and then you can use Q = CV to find the charge on its plates as you said.

The definition of the time constant is RC, or the resistance times the capacitance. Since (time constant) = RC, you can find the capacitance by dividing the time constant by the resistance:

(100 s)/(20 Mohms) = 2 times 109 farads

Now use Q = CV = (2 x 10^9 F)(10 V) = 2 x 1010 coulombs

I have to say I'm not absolutely sure about that answer, especially since a) I'm just learning about RC circuits myself in school (we did finish the unit, though, so I do KNOW the stuff) and b) that's a HECK of a lot of charge on a capacitor. Hope I helped, though!
wrote...
12 years ago
C=100/20*106
=5*10(-6) (F)

Q=C*V=10*5*10(-6)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1186 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion