K
g
L
w
epicchecklist epicchecklist
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago

Which of the following statements reflect the most likely risk factors seen in a child with the
  diagnosis of a conduct disorder:

a) Parental rejection and neglect, inconsistent child-rearing practices, harsh discipline,
  physical or sexual abuse, lack of supervision, early institutional living, frequent changes
  of caregivers, large family size, parental criminality
  b) Peer rejection, association with a delinquent peer group, neighborhood exposure to
  violence
  c) Having a parent or sibling with conduct disorder, biological parents with severe alcohol
  use, depressive and bipolar disorders, or schizophrenia or who have a history of conduct
  disorder or attention/deficit hyperactivity disorder
  d) None listed

Sixteen year-old Bill Atkins was referred to the school social worker after his most recent
  suspension. According to the staff interviewed  the guidance counselor, assistant principal,
  teachers  Bill has a long history of defiance and aggression toward peers as shown in numerous
  fights in school. The social worker also interviewed Bills parents who confirmed the
  youngsters defiant behavior at home. His parents added that he can be aggressive; seen in
  breaking doors or punching holes in the walls if he doesnt get his way. Bills mother comments,
  When backed into a corner, Bill will choose a lie rather than the truth. Lately, his father and I
  have noticed things missing around the house. It started with small change but now Im afraid to
  leave my jewelry out. Bills mood was consistently seen by those who were interviewed as
  irritable or depressed. No psychotic symptoms or sleep disturbances were reported. What would
  be the most likely diagnosis to consider for Bill?

a) Oppositional defiant disorder
  b) Conduct disorder
  c) Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder
  d) Attention/deficit hyperactivity disorder

Betty Martin contacted her 13 year-old daughters teachers asking how she is doing in school.
  Lately, her daughter, Isabella, who up to this point had been characterized as the ideal child,
  has now become defiant, oppositional, and vindictive. Mrs. Martin adds, The father and I have
  been separated for years but now Isabella threatens to leave and move into his apartment over the
  least little thing. After all weve been through, that really hurts. When I challenge Isabellas
  behavior, it becomes all my fault. On top of all that, Isabella takes no responsibility for her
  behavior. Needless to add, things are miserable here at home. Ive also noticed her friends are
  keeping their distance, too. Given Mrs. Martins account, what diagnosis could be ruled out?

a) Oppositional defiant disorder
  b) Major depressive disorder
  c) Substance use disorder
  d) Adjustment disorder

Read 1862 times
21 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
tainataina
wrote...
Top Poster
Rep: 8 0