a
t
i
r
timothyy5 timothyy5
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sex is biological, while gender is socially constructed.

a. true
  b. false

Which of the following quotes is an example of ethnocentrism?

a. Blacks are less intelligent than Asians.
  b. I tried Chinese food, but I don't really like it.
  c. I'm most comfortable in my own culture, but I don't have a problem with anyone else's.
  d. A lot of Indians work in engineering or with computers.

U.S. Census data predicts that by 2050, Hispanics will make up which percentage of the population?

a. 10
  b. 25
  c. 50
  d. 60

Functionalists, conflict theorists, and symbolic interactionists would all agree that

a. The U.S. population is becoming increasingly diverse at a rapid rate.
  b. Only individuals and groups at the grass-roots level, not government and political leaders or academic elites, can bring about greater racial equality.
  c. Political intervention is necessary to bring about great change.
  d. Programs such as affirmative action or others that are designed to specifically benefit minority-group members are divisive and harmful.

State-sanctioned patriotic acts and rituals are examples of

ethnocentrism.
  b. racism.
  c. individual discrimination.
  d. institutionalized discrimination.

The U.S. has been compared to a salad bowl, one dish made up of individual ingredients, in order to explain a contemporary society where different cultures blend yet still retain their essential uniqueness.

Which of the following processes does this comparison define?
  a. ethnic socialization
  b. assimilation
  c. ethnic pluralism
  d. racial socialization

Which of the following statements most accurately describes the functionalist perspective on racial and ethnic problems?

a. Prejudice and discrimination are caused by faulty racial socialization.
  b. Racial and ethnic discord must be eliminated or contained because they destabilize the society.
  c. Racial and ethnic inequality is rooted in economic stratification and unequal access to power in society.
  d. Racial and ethnic relations in this country are substantially defined by the government.

Which of the following statements most accurately describes the distinction between racial groups and ethnic groups?

a. All members of a certain ethnic group are also members of the same racial group.
  b. All members of a certain racial group are also members of the same ethnic group.
  c. Members of the same ethnic group may be made up of members of many different racial groups.
  d. Members of the same ethnic group cannot be made up of members of the same racial group.

Conflict perspectives on racial and ethnic inequality are based on the assumption that

a. social solidarity is a primary cause of racial inequality in the United States.
  b. racial and ethnic strife must be calmed quickly so that the society will not be further disrupted by urban unrest or riots.
  c. economic stratification and unequal access to power place minority group members at a distinct disadvantage as compared to dominant group members.
  d. early childhood learning of respect for minority group members would solve most problems in contemporary racial and ethnic relations in this country.

Which of the following purport that prejudice and discrimination are learned and can be unlearned?

liberal theorists
  b. conflict theorists
  c. functionalist theorists
  d. symbolic interactionist theorists
Read 64 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
biofreaksbiofreaks
wrote...
Top Poster
Rep: 5 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 230 words.