t
i
r
r
michaelmorris17 michaelmorris17
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Which of the following processes-of-care characteristics may contribute to lowering the risk of prolonged mechanical ventilation? I. timely performance of a tracheotomy II. vigilant ECG monitoring III. spontaneous breathing trial screenings IV. ventilation with low Vts for ALI patients

A. I, III only
  B. II, III only
  C. II, IV only
  D. III, IV only

Q. 2  What can be done to reduce the risk of the patient developing polyneuropathy?

A. providing continuous use of sedatives
  B. awakening the patient daily from sedative infusions
  C. limiting the use of neuromuscular blocking agents and corticosteroids
  D. suggesting a tracheotomy for patients requiring ventilatory support for more than 7 days

Q. 3  What is the trend or practice in today's health care system concerning discharging patients from hospitals?

A. Patients remain longer in acute care settings.
  B. More patients requiring mechanical ventilation are sent home.
  C. Fewer of these patients are readmitted to acute care hospitals after being discharged.
  D. Patients are discharged sooner to postacute care settings.

Q. 4  A patient enters the ICU postsurgery. What can the therapist recommend to reduce the risk of this patient needing PMV?

A. maintaining tight glycemic control
  B. administering intermittent dosing of a long-acting sedative
  C. giving the patient high-dose steroids
  D. routinely changing the patient's breathing circuit

Q. 5  Which of the following clinical conditions have been identified from clinical research as predictors of the need for prolonged mechanical ventilation? I. failed extubation II. difficult intubation III. nosocomial pneumonia IV. pulmonary artery catheterization

A. I only
  B. I, II only
  C. I, III only
  D. II, III, IV only
Read 23 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
(Answer to Q. 1)  ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: Certain processes-of-care characteristics may contribute to lowering the risk of PMV. These include tight glycemic control in surgical patients, screening for and performance of spontaneous breathing trials, and the use of low tidal volumes among ALI patients.

(Answer to Q. 2)  ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: An important factor in the development of PMV is critical illness polyneuropathy. Using neuromuscular blocking agents and high-dose corticosteroids are two risk factors for polyneuropathy that need to be limited to conditions in which they are absolutely indicated.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C

(Answer to Q. 3)  ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: Previously, patients were managed for extended periods in acute care hospitals until they were weaned and ready for transfer to a postacute care facility or home. Now, hospitals are discharging PMV patients sooner to a variety of postacute care facilities. As these patients navigate through these facilities, they remain at high risk for hospital readmission.

(Answer to Q. 4)  ANS: A
A. Correct response: The importance of strict glucose control has been shown to decrease the duration of mechanical ventilations and the incidence of PMV in both surgical and medical populations.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

(Answer to Q. 5)  ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: Clinical research has identified a few predictors of the need for prolonged ventilation measured during the index hospitalization. These predictors include a witnessed aspiration event, failed extubation, nosocomial pneumonia, high acute and chronic health evaluation (APACHE II) score, advanced age, poor prior functional status, and primary disease.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C
wrote...
6 years ago
Thank you so much for providing this
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1251 People Browsing
 128 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145