j
l
d
y
aac387 aac387
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
6 years ago
The therapist is providing mechanical ventilation to a patient who suffered TBI. The therapist is contemplating performing a recruitment maneuver on this patient. What should the therapist do?

A. The therapist should not perform a recruitment maneuver.
  B. The therapist should conduct a modified recruitment maneuver.
  C. A recruitment maneuver would likely be beneficial for this patient.
  D. Because of the nature of this patient's lung status, a recruitment maneuver will not improve oxygenation.

Q. 2  Based on citations in the text, which of the following statements are two concerning PEEP and patients with TBI? I. PEEP must be avoided unless absolutely necessary to avoid increases in ICP. II. Studies have revealed that PEEP does not increase ICP in patients with preexisting elevated ICPs. III. Other studies indicate that increasing levels of PEEP have no effect on ICP or CPP. IV. High PEEP levels may lead to slight rises in ICP in patients who have normal ICPs.

A. I only
  B. III only
  C. II, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Q. 3  Which of the following contributory factors are likely responsible for the development of respiratory failure in patients who have myasthenia gravis? I. inspiratory muscle weakness II. expiratory muscle weakness III. susceptibility to venous thromboembolic disease IV. poor clearance of pulmonary secretions

A. I, II only
  B. I, IV only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D, I, II, III, IV

Q. 4  Based on recommendations put forth by the Brain Trauma Foundation and the American Academy of Neurosurgeons, what should be the minimum Paco2 to which a TBI patient should be hyperventilated?

A. 35 mm Hg
  B. 25 mm Hg
  C. less than 25 mm Hg
  D. Hyperventilation must not be performed.

Q. 5  Which of the following procedure or activities can cause an increased intracranial pressure? I. obtaining an arterial blood sample from an arterial line II. increasing the delivered Fio2 III. endotracheal suctioning IV. airway manipulation

A. I, IV only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only
Read 47 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
(Answer to Q. 1)  ANS: A
A. Correct response: The use of recruitment maneuvers is controversial in patients with TBI. Most research data on this type patient have shown that recruitment maneuvers decrease MAP and increase ICP. Consequently the recommendation is to avoid the use of recruitment maneuvers in these type patients. Other protective lung strategies such as low Vts and the application of PEEP are advocated.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

(Answer to Q. 2)  ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: Traditional teaching has been that high levels of PEEP may lead to elevated ICP, and should be avoided in patients with TBI. While high PEEP levels may lead to slight increases in ICP in patients with normal ICPs, studies suggest that PEEP does not increase ICP in those patients with preexisting elevated ICPs. Data from a retrospective review show that rising levels of PEEP have no effect on ICP or CPP. Such data advocate the use of PEEP with appropriate monitoring in the head-injured population because the risks of hypoxia outweigh the potential risk of decreased CPP from reduced cardiac output or decreased venous return.

(Answer to Q. 3)  ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: Respiratory failure may occur secondary to a combination of weaknesses of the muscles of inspiration, expiration, and the pharyngeal airway. Airway muscle weakness predisposes to aspiration and obstruction, and loss of expiratory muscle strength leads to ineffective cough and poor clearance of secretions. Weak inspiratory muscles are unable to generate adequate Vts, resulting in atelectasis and pulmonary shunt.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C

(Answer to Q. 4)  ANS: A
A. Correct response: Hyperventilation has not been shown to have a beneficial effect on outcome. In fact, patients hyperventilated to a Paco2 of 25 mm Hg for 5 days had a worse outcome than those who were not. Recommendations from the Brain Trauma Foundation and the American Academy of Neurosurgeons state that a Paco2 of less than 35 mm Hg should be prevented, especially during the first 24 hours after injury, when risk of cerebral ischemia is highest.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

(Answer to Q. 5)  ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Positive-pressure ventilation can have a detrimental effect on the CPP if the ventilatory strategies lead to either a rise in ICP or a drop in MAP. Performing endotracheal suctioning, coughing, and manipulating airway pressure can induce a rise in ICP. Positive-pressure ventilation and PEEP tend to decrease venous return to the right ventricle, which can lead to a decrease in the MAP.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1367 People Browsing
Related Images