a
t
i
r
r
123kduncan 123kduncan
wrote...
6 years ago
The therapist is managing a patient who has been reestablished on mechanical ventilation after failing SBTs. How should the therapist manage the aspect of respiratory muscle loading for this patient?

A. Provide the patient with a comfortable level of assisted ventilation.
  B. Sedate the patient and provide controlled mechanical ventilation.
  C. Gradually decrease the level of ventilator support before the next SBT.
  D. Progressively increase the level of ventilatory support before the next SBT.

Q. 2  How should the therapist manage a patient who has failed a couple spontaneous breathing trials? I. Focus on preventing VILI. II. Reestablish a nonfatiguing mode of ventilatory support. III. Ascertain the cause of weaning failure. IV. Employ volume-controlled mechanical ventilation and sedation.

A. I, III only
  B. I, IV only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. I, III, IV only

Q. 3  Which of the following conditions are common reasons for SBT failure? I. respiratory drive failure II. oxygenation failure III. cardiovascular failure IV. muscle failure

A. I, IV only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV

Q. 4  A patient has been breathing 5 cm H2O of pressure support ventilation for 1 hours. What patient characteristics should the therapist consider to determine readiness for extubation? I. Does the patient have an FEV1 greater than 75 of predicted? II. Does the patient have the ability to generate an adequate cough? III. Does the patient have thick secretions? IV. Is the patient capable of following commands?

A. I, III only
  B. II, IV only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Q. 5  Recently, a patient with COPD has successfully completed spontaneous breathing trials for weaning from mechanical ventilation and has been extubated. The patient is now experiencing respiratory distress. What should the therapist do at this time?

A. Reintubate the patient.
  B. Administer 40 oxygen via an aerosol mask.
  C. Institute NPPV.
  D. Continue monitoring the patient.

Q. 6  What is the patient reintubation rate for ICUs that are considered well run?

A. Less than 5
  B. 10 to 15
  C. 15 to 20
  D. no more than 25
Read 75 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
Za_bby97Za_bby97
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 770 words.