c
p
M
a
badkarma2007 badkarma2007
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
Which of the following statements accurately describe pulmonary vascular capacitance? I. During lung inflation, vascular capacitance increases within the alveolar vessels. II. During hypervolemic states, lung inflation causes a discharge of alveolar blood volume into the left atrium. III. During dehydration, lung inflation will cause a transient decrease in the pulmonary venous overflow as blood pools in the extra-alveolar vessels. IV. Vascular capacitance decreases in the extra-alveolar vessels during lung inflation.

A. III only
  B. I, II, IV only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Q. 2  Which of the following factors cause an increase in venous return? I. increase in the lung compliance II. increase in mean systemic pressure III. increase in the right atrial pressure IV. decrease in right atrial pressure

A. II, III only
  B. II, IV only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. I, II, III only

Q. 3  What is the functional upstream pressure for venous return, which is a primary determinant of cardiac output?

A. pleural pressure
  B. right atrial pressure
  C. mean systemic pressure
  D. mean circulatory filling pressure

Q. 4  Which of the following statements accurately describe alveolar and extra-alveolar vessels? I. Pulmonary vascular resistance increases through alveolar vessels during inspiration. II. Pulmonary vascular resistance decreases throughout the extra-alveolar vessels during expiration. III. Extra-alveolar vessels behave as if they were surrounded by atmospheric pressure. IV. These two types of vessels respond in the same manner to changes in lung volume.

A. I only
  B. III only
  C. I, II only
  D. II, IV only

Q. 5  Which of the following statements address the concept of ventricular interdependence? I. When the size of the right ventricle increases, the opposite side decreases. II. An increased blood volume in the right pushes the interventricular septum to the left. III. An increased blood volume in the left ventricle increases the compliance of the right chamber. IV. A larger blood volume in the right ventricle enhances left ventricular filling and stroke volume.

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, III, IV only
  D. I II, III only
Read 60 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
(Answer to Q. 1)  ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: As the lungs inflate, alveolar vessels are compressed and they
experience a decrease vascular capacitance. At the same time, the extra-alveolar vessels experience an increased pulmonary capacitance. If alveolar capillaries are engorged with blood as during a hypervolemic state, inspiration causes a discharge of alveolar-capillary blood volume into the left atrium. However, if alveolar capillaries are less full, as in the case of hydration lung, inflation will result in a transient decrease in pulmonary vessel outflow as blood pools in the enlarged extra-alveolar vessels.

(Answer to Q. 2)  ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: An increased mean systemic pressure or a decrease in the right atrial pressure will increase venous return. Conversely, a reduction in the mean systemic pressure or an increase in the right atrial pressure decreases venous return.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.

(Answer to Q. 3)  ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: Pleural pressure fluctuates throughout the ventilatory cycle regardless of whether the breathing is spontaneous breathing or positive-pressure breathing. During spontaneous ventilation (SV), pleural pressure remains subatmospheric. However, during positive-pressure ventilation (PPV), pleural pressure becomes supra-atmospheric.
B. Incorrect response: The right atrial pressure represents the end of the downstream end of the pressure gradient responsible for venous return.
C. Correct response: Mean systemic pressure is the weighted average of all pressure from all parts of the systemic circulation. The elastic properties of the blood vessels and the volume of blood they contain determine the magnitude of the mean systemic pressure.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C.

(Answer to Q. 4)  ANS: A
A. Correct response: Alveolar vessels are exposed primarily to alveolar pressure. Therefore, when the lungs inflate the alveolar vessels experience an increased pulmonary vascular resistance. In other words, as alveolar volume increases, alveolar vessels are compressed; therefore pulmonary vascular resistance increases through these vessels during inspiration. On the other hand, the extra-alveolar vessels are influenced essentially by pleural pressure. Consequently, when the lungs deflate, and pleural pressure increases, the extra-alveolar vessels experience an increased pulmonary vascular resistance.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

(Answer to Q. 5)  ANS: A
A. Correct response: Because the right and left ventricles share the same space in the pericardium, and increase in the size, of one chamber requires a decrease in the size, shape and function of the other.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
badkarma2007 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
I appreciate what you did here
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  883 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 336

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?