t
i
r
r
dymasraja dymasraja
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A patient who has just been admitted with community-acquired pneumococcal pneumonia has a temperature of 101.6 F with a frequent cough and is complaining of severe pleuritic chest pain. Which prescribed medication should the nurse give first?

a. Codeine
  b. Guaifenesin (Robitussin)
  c. Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  d. Piperacillin/tazobactam (Zosyn)

Question 2

The nurse cares for a patient who has just had a thoracentesis. Which assessment information obtained by the nurse is a priority to communicate to the health care provider?

a. Oxygen saturation is 88.
  b. Blood pressure is 145/90 mm Hg.
  c. Respiratory rate is 22 breaths/minute when lying flat.
  d. Pain level is 5 (on 0 to 10 scale) with a deep breath.

Question 3

A patient has just been admitted with probable bacterial pneumonia and sepsis. Which order should the nurse implement first?

a. Chest x-ray via stretcher
  b. Blood cultures from two sites
  c. Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 400 mg IV
  d. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) rectal suppository

Question 4

The nurse completes discharge teaching for a patient who has had a lung transplant. The nurse evaluates that the teaching has been effective if the patient makes which statement?

a. I will make an appointment to see the doctor every year.
  b. I will stop taking the prednisone if I experience a dry cough.
  c. I will not worry if I feel a little short of breath with exercise.
  d. I will call the health care provider right away if I develop a fever.

Question 5

A patient with a pleural effusion is scheduled for a thoracentesis. Which action should the nurse take to prepare the patient for the procedure?

a. Start a peripheral IV line to administer the necessary sedative drugs.
  b. Position the patient sitting upright on the edge of the bed and leaning forward.
  c. Obtain a large collection device to hold 2 to 3 liters of pleural fluid at one time.
  d. Remove the water pitcher and remind the patient not to eat or drink anything for 6 hours.
Read 39 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: D
Early initiation of antibiotic therapy has been demonstrated to reduce mortality. The other medications are also appropriate and should be given as soon as possible, but the priority is to start antibiotic therapy.

The answer to question 2

ANS: A
Oxygen saturation would be expected to improve after a thoracentesis. A saturation of 88 indicates that a complication such as pneumothorax may be occurring. The other assessment data also indicate a need for ongoing assessment or intervention, but the low oxygen saturation is the priority.

The answer to question 3

ANS: B
Initiating antibiotic therapy rapidly is essential, but it is important that the cultures be obtained before antibiotic administration. The chest x-ray and acetaminophen administration can be done last.

The answer to question 4

ANS: D
Low-grade fever may indicate infection or acute rejection so the patient should notify the health care provider immediately if the temperature is elevated. Patients require frequent follow-up visits with the transplant team. Annual health care provider visits would not be sufficient. Home oxygen use is not an expectation after lung transplant. Shortness of breath should be reported. Low-grade fever, fatigue, dyspnea, dry cough, and oxygen desaturation are signs of rejection. Immunosuppressive therapy, including prednisone, needs to be continued to prevent rejection.

The answer to question 5

ANS: B
When the patient is sitting up, fluid accumulates in the pleural space at the lung bases and can more easily be located and removed. The patient does not usually require sedation for the procedure, and there are no restrictions on oral intake because the patient is not sedated or unconscious. Usually only 1000 to 1200 mL of pleural fluid is removed at one time. Rapid removal of a large volume can result in hypotension, hypoxemia, or pulmonary edema.
dymasraja Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Makes more sense now, TY
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1318 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79