d
c
a
r
SophiaGrant SophiaGrant
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A chemotherapy drug that causes alopecia is prescribed for a patient. Which action should the nurse take to maintain the patient's self-esteem?

a. Tell the patient to limit social contacts until regrowth of the hair occurs.
  b. Encourage the patient to purchase a wig or hat and wear it once hair loss begins.
  c. Teach the patient to gently wash hair with a mild shampoo to minimize hair loss.
  d. Inform the patient that hair usually grows back once the chemotherapy is complete.

Question 2

A patient who has ovarian cancer is crying and tells the nurse, My husband rarely visits. He just doesn't care. The husband indicates to the nurse that he never knows what to say to help his wife.

Which nursing diagnosis is most appropriate for the nurse to add to the plan of care?
  a. Compromised family coping related to disruption in lifestyle
  b. Impaired home maintenance related to perceived role changes
  c. Risk for caregiver role strain related to burdens of caregiving responsibilities
  d. Dysfunctional family processes related to effect of illness on family members

Question 3

A patient undergoing external radiation has developed a dry desquamation of the skin in the treatment area. The nurse teaches the patient about management of the skin reaction. Which statement, if made by the patient, indicates the teaching was effective?

a. I can buy some aloe vera gel to use on the area.
  b. I will expose the treatment area to a sun lamp daily.
  c. I can use ice packs to relieve itching in the treatment area.
  d. I will scrub the area with warm water to remove the scales.

Question 4

External-beam radiation is planned for a patient with cervical cancer. What instructions should the nurse give to the patient to prevent complications from the effects of the radiation?

a. Test all stools for the presence of blood.
  b. Maintain a high-residue, high-fiber diet.
  c. Clean the perianal area carefully after every bowel movement.
  d. Inspect the mouth and throat daily for the appearance of thrush.

Question 5

The nurse teaches a postmenopausal patient with stage III breast cancer about the expected outcomes of cancer treatment. Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. After cancer has not recurred for 5 years, it is considered cured.
  b. The cancer will be cured if the entire tumor is surgically removed.
  c. Cancer is never considered cured, but the tumor can be controlled with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
  d. I will need to have follow-up examinations for many years after I have treatment before I can be considered cured.
Read 52 times
2 Replies