m
c
o
l
codym806 codym806
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
The nurse is evaluating the effectiveness of instruction provided to a patient with a newly applied arm cast. Which statements indicate that additional teaching is required?

Select all that apply.

1. I can wrap the cast in plastic wrap to protect it.
  2. I can use a blow dryer to make the cast dry faster.
  3. I will call the doctor if the arm starts to hurt more.
  4. I can use a sling to distribute the weight of the cast.
  5. I can use a coat hanger to scratch itchy skin under the cast.

Question 2

A patient is diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear. Which interventions should the nurse expect to be prescribed for this patient?

Select all that apply.

1. joint rest
  2. NSAIDs
  3. moist heat
  4. physical therapy
  5. immediate surgery

Question 3

The healthcare provider is pleased that an adolescent's broken arm has healed within 4 weeks. What factors in the patient's health history facilitated the healing of this fracture?

Select all that apply.

1. The patient is 17 years old.
  2. There are no active disease processes in the health history.
  3. The patient waited 4 hours to get the fracture treated.
  4. The patient bicycles and plays tennis nearly every day.
  5. The patient drinks four 8-ounce glasses of milk a day.

Question 4

A patient recovering from an amputation refuses to look at the stump or participate in care. For what problem should the nurse plan interventions to help this patient?

1. infection
  2. insufficient nutrition
  3. problems with body image
  4. risk for chronic pain
Read 32 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

Correct Answer: 2, 5
The cast dries from the inside out; a blow dryer should not be used to speed drying. Nothing should be inserted under the cast. A blow dryer on the cool setting can be used to relieve itching. The cast can be wrapped in plastic wrap to protect it. The healthcare provider should be notified if pain increases. A sling can be used to distribute the weight of an arm cast evenly around the neck.

The answer to question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 3, 4
Treatment for rotator cuff injuries is usually conservative and includes joint rest, NSAIDs, moist heat, and, for persistent problems, physical therapy. Some patients require surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff; however, surgery is not immediately performed.

The answer to question 3

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 4, 5
Positive systemic factors that affect wound healing include younger age, absence of infection or diseases, moderate activity level prior to injury, and adequate amounts of calcium. A delay in the correction of the displacement is a local factor that would negatively impact the healing of the fracture.

The answer to question 4

Correct Answer: 3
Although amputation is a reconstructive surgery, the patient's body image will be disturbed. The patient's reluctance to look at the stump or participate in care supports this problem identification. The patient's reluctance to look at the wound does not indicate insufficient nutrition or a risk for infection or for chronic pain.
codym806 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Thank you soooo very much, it was really helpful and kind of you to answer my q's
wrote...
6 years ago
You're welcome, once again
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  854 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 215