× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
o
suncs suncs
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A patient with malnutrition is experiencing ongoing diarrhea after every meal. The nurse realizes that this patient could have what health problem?

1. malabsorption
  2. a food allergy
  3. carbohydrate intolerance
  4. pending cardiovascular overload

Question 2

A patient is prescribed a hypertonic solution with vitamins and minerals to be administered through a peripheral intravenous access line. The nurse recognizes this as being what treatment?

1. intravenous fluid support
  2. total parenteral nutrition
  3. enteral nutrition
  4. short-term total parenteral nutrition

Question 3

A patient is being evaluated for malnutrition. Which laboratory test results should the nurse recognize will support that finding?

Select all that apply.
  1. low serum potassium
  2. low white blood cell count
  3. elevated serum albumin
  4. elevated red blood cell count
  5. low serum sodium

Question 4

An overweight patient states, I'm trying to stick to my diet and exercise plan, but my spouse tells me that I'm fine the way I am. What type of problem is this patient experiencing?

1. lack of family and social support to adhere to the plan
  2. eating more than is required for bodily functions
  3. difficulty with exercise and activity
  4. generalized feelings of self-reproach

Question 5

An elderly patient who uses a walker tells the nurse, I'm so alone now that my family is gone. The nurse realizes that this patient might be at risk for developing what health problem?

1. malnutrition
  2. obesity
  3. psychosis
  4. immobility

Question 6

A 45-year-old patient says, I'm gaining weight but I'm not eating any differently than I did years ago. What should the nurse realize is occurring with this patient?

1. gaining weight associated with aging
  2. denying the truth about overeating
  3. justifying the weight gain
  4. seeking approval to gain weight
Read 43 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Refeeding can precipitate malabsorption and diarrhea. The diarrhea occurs after each meal, not with foods that may cause an allergy or only with carbohydrates. Cardiovascular overload is not related to the development of diarrhea after eating.

The answer to question 2

Correct Answer: 4
A peripherally-inserted central catheter (PICC) line may be used for short-term TPN. Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) should be administered through a central vein. Enteral nutrition is delivered directly into the gastrointestinal system. A hypertonic solution with vitamins and minerals is not the usual intravenous fluid mixture for fluid support.

The answer to question 3

Correct Answer: 1, 2
Potassium levels are low in severe malnutrition. The total lymphocyte count (white blood cell count) is reduced in malnutrition. Elevated serum albumin level indicates adequate nutrition. There are no specific findings regarding red blood cell count with malnutrition. There is no specific finding regarding serum sodium level with malnutrition.

The answer to question 4

Family and social support is critical to successful adherence to the therapeutic regimen. Without family support, the patient will have difficulty adhering to the weight loss plan. There is no evidence that the patient is eating more than is required for bodily functions, having difficulty with exercise and activity, or experiencing generalized feelings of self-reproach.

The answer to question 5

Older patients are at increased risk for malnutrition. Functional limitations can impair the ability to shop and cook. Psychosocial issues also contribute to the problem. Loss of appetite is a problem that is commonly seen with depression. Social isolation and loneliness contribute to the problem. There is no evidence that this patient is at risk for developing obesity, psychosis, or immobility.

The answer to question 6

To reduce weight gain commonly associated with aging, encourage patients to gradually reduce the amount of calories consumed. There is no evidence that the patient is denying the truth about overeating, justifying the weight gain, or seeking approval to gain weight.
suncs Author
wrote...
6 years ago
This is very helpful, my teacher this year is not good
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1044 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587