f
b
d
h
Mansi Mansi
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A patient with a known history of heavy alcohol use has been admitted to the ICU after he was found unconscious outside a bar. The nurse closely monitors him for symptoms of withdrawal. Which of these symptoms may occur during this time?

Select all that apply.
  a.
  Bradycardia
  b.
  Coarse tremor of the hands
  c.
  Transient hallucinations
  d.
  Somnolence
  e.
  Sweating

Question 2

The nurse is reviewing aspects of substance abuse in preparation for a seminar. Which of these statements illustrates the concept of tolerance to an illicit substance? The person:

a. Has a physiologic dependence on a substance.
  b. Requires an increased amount of the substance to produce the same effect.
  c. Requires daily use of the substance to function and is unable to stop using it.
  d. Experiences a syndrome of physiologic symptoms if the substance is not used.

Question 3

A patient is brought to the emergency department. He is restless, has dilated pupils, is sweating, has a runny nose and tearing eyes, and complains of muscle and joint pains. His girlfriend thinks he has influenza, but she became concerned

when his temperature went up to 39.4  C. She admits that he has been a heavy drug user, but he has been trying to stop on his own. The nurse suspects that the patient is experiencing withdrawal symptoms from which substance?
  a.
  Alcohol
  b.
  Heroin
  c.
  Crack cocaine
  d.
  Sedatives

Question 4

The nurse has completed an assessment on a patient who came to the clinic for a leg injury. As a result of the assessment, the nurse has determined that the patient has at-risk alcohol use. Which action by the nurse is most appropriate at this time?

a. Record the results of the assessment, and notify the physician on call.
  b. State, You are drinking more than is medically safe. I strongly recommend that you quit drinking, and I'm willing to help you.
  c. State, It appears that you may have a drinking problem. Here is the telephone number of our local Alcoholics Anonymous chapter.
  d. Give the patient information about a local rehabilitation clinic.

Question 5

The nurse is asking an adolescent about illicit substance abuse. The adolescent answers, Yes, I've used marijuana at parties with my friends. What is the next question the nurse should ask?

a. Who are these friends?
  b. Do your parents know about this?
  c. When was the last time you used marijuana?
  d. Is this a regular habit?
Read 39 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
BoBo
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 380 words.