d
a
g
j
chanceh91 chanceh91
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
6 years ago
As the nurse enters a patient's room, the nurse finds her crying. The patient states that she has just found out that the lump in her breast is cancer and says, I'm so afraid of, um, you know.

The nurse's most therapeutic response would be to say in a gentle manner:
  a.
  You're afraid you might lose your breast?
  b.
  No, I'm not sure what you are talking about.
  c.
  I'll wait here until you get yourself under control, and then we can talk.
  d.
  I can see that you are very upset. Perhaps we should discuss this later.

Question 2

During a visit to the clinic, a patient states, The doctor just told me he thought I ought to stop smoking. He doesn't understand how hard I've tried. I just don't know the best way to do it. What should I do?

The nurse's most appropriate response in this case would be:

a.
  I'd quit if I were you. The doctor really knows what he is talking about.
  b.
  Would you like some information about the different ways a person can quit smoking?
  c.
  Stopping your dependence on cigarettes can be very difficult. I understand how you feel.
  d.
  Why are you confused? Didn't the doctor give you the information about the smoking cessation program we offer?

Question 3

A pregnant woman states, I just know labor will be so painful that I won't be able to stand it. I know it sounds awful, but I really dread going into labor. The nurse responds by stating, Oh, don't worry about labor so much. I have been through it,

and although it is painful, many good medications are available to decrease the pain. Which statement is true regarding this response? The nurse's reply was a:
  a.
  Therapeutic response. By sharing something personal, the nurse gives hope to this woman.
  b.
  Nontherapeutic response. By providing false reassurance, the nurse actually cut off further discussion of the woman's fears.
  c.
  Therapeutic response. By providing information about the medications available, the nurse is giving information to the woman.
  d.
  Nontherapeutic response. The nurse is essentially giving the message to the woman that labor cannot be tolerated without medication.

Question 4

During an interview, a woman says, I have decided that I can no longer allow my children to live with their father's violence, but I just can't seem to leave him. Using interpretation, the nurse's best response would be:

a. You are going to leave him?
  b. If you are afraid for your children, then why can't you leave?
  c. It sounds as if you might be afraid of how your husband will respond.
  d. It sounds as though you have made your decision. I think it is a good one.

Question 5

The nurse has used interpretation regarding a patient's statement or actions. After using this technique, it would be best for the nurse to:

a. Apologize, because using interpretation can be demeaning for the patient.
  b. Allow time for the patient to confirm or correct the inference.
  c. Continue with the interview as though nothing has happened.
  d. Immediately restate the nurse's conclusion on the basis of the patient's nonverbal response.

Question 6

A man has been admitted to the observation unit for observation after being treated for a large cut on his forehead. As the nurse works through the interview, one of the standard questions has to do with alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.

When the nurse asks him about tobacco use, he states, I quit smoking after my wife died 7 years ago. However, the nurse notices an open pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket. Using confrontation, the nurse could say:
  a.
  Mr. K., I know that you are lying.
  b.
  Mr. K., come on, tell me how much you smoke.
  c.
  Mr. K., I didn't realize your wife had died. It must be difficult for you at this time. Please tell me more about that.
  d.
  Mr. K., you have said that you don't smoke, but I see that you have an open pack of cigarettes in your pocket.

Question 7

A 17-year-old single mother is describing how difficult it is to raise a 3-year-old child by herself. During the course of the interview she states, I can't believe my boyfriend left me to do this by myself What a terrible thing to do to me

Which of these responses by the nurse uses empathy?

a.
  You feel alone.
  b.
  You can't believe he left you alone?
  c.
  It must be so hard to face this all alone.
  d.
  I would be angry, too; raising a child alone is no picnic.
Read 70 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
dlsmith88dlsmith88
wrote...
Rep: 6 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 540 words.