a
t
i
r
Bailey Bailey
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse assesses a client who has a burn injury. Which statement indicates the client has a positive perspective of his or her appearance?

a. I will allow my spouse to change my dressings.
  b. I want to have surgical reconstruction.
  c. I will bathe and dress before breakfast.
  d. I have secured the pressure dressings as ordered.

Question 2

An emergency room nurse assesses a client who was rescued from a home fire. The client suddenly develops a loud, brassy cough. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Apply oxygen and continuous pulse oximetry.
  b. Provide small quantities of ice chips and sips of water.
  c. Request a prescription for an antitussive medication.
  d. Ask the respiratory therapist to provide humidified air.

Question 3

The nurse teaches burn prevention to a community group. Which statement by a member of the group should cause the nurse the greatest concern?

a. I get my chimney swept every other year.
  b. My hot water heater is set at 120 degrees.
  c. Sometimes I wake up at night and smoke.
  d. I use a space heater when it gets below zero.

Question 4

A nurse cares for a client who has facial burns. The client asks, Will I ever look the same? How should the nurse respond?

a. With reconstructive surgery, you can look the same.
  b. We can remove the scars with the use of a pressure dressing.
  c. You will not look exactly the same but cosmetic surgery will help.
  d. You shouldn't start worrying about your appearance right now.
Read 42 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: C
Indicators that the client with a burn injury has a positive perception of his or her appearance include a willingness to touch the affected body part. Self-care activities such as morning care foster feelings of self-worth, which are closely linked to body image. Allowing others to change the dressing and discussing future reconstruction would not indicate a positive perception of appearance. Wearing the dressing will assist in decreasing complications but will not enhance self-perception.

The answer to question 2

ANS: A
Brassy cough and wheezing are some of the signs seen with inhalation injury. The first action by the nurse is to give the client oxygen. Clients with possible inhalation injury also need continuous pulse oximetry. Ice chips and humidified room air will not help the problem, and antitussives are not warranted.

The answer to question 3

House fires are a common occurrence and often lead to serious injury or death. The nurse should be most concerned about a person who wakes up at night and smokes. The nurse needs to question this person about whether he or she gets out of bed to do so, or if this person stays in bed, which could lead to falling back asleep with a lighted cigarette. Although it is recommended to have chimneys swept every year, skipping a year does not pose as much danger as smoking in bed, particularly if the person does not burn wood frequently. Water heaters should be set below 140  F. Space heaters should be used with caution, and the nurse may want to ensure that the person does not allow it to get near clothing or bedding.

The answer to question 4

Many clients have unrealistic expectations of reconstructive surgery and envision an appearance identical or equal in quality to the preburn state. The nurse should provide accurate information that includes something to hope for. Pressure dressings prevent further scarring; they cannot remove scars. The client and the family should be taught the expected cosmetic outcomes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1217 People Browsing
Related Images