r
ragtagzombie ragtagzombie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Part 1 of 1 -    250.0 Points

Question 1 of 5
   50.0 Points
Describe the 8 basic perspectives used to define "personality".
There are 8 basic perspective used to define "personality" that we have learned over our weeks in the class. The first is the psychoanalytic perspective which deals with the unconscious mind. Freud was one of the leads in discovering the depths of the unconscious to include id. ego, and superego. The second basic perspective of personality is the non-analytic perspective. This is defined by Jung which found three parts of the psyche to include the conscious ego, personal unconscious, and collective unconscious which can be shown as an example in thinking vs. feeling and sensing vs. intuiting. The third perspective is the biological perspective. This is our genetic disposition, this is nature vs. nurture, emotions, needs, social skills, and down right personality, all factors have much to do with peoples over all personality. The next perspective is the behaviorist perspective. This perspective that is believed that everyone can be trained later in life, basically eliminating free will. The fifth personality perspective is cognitive which deals with human thought, this would ignore unconscious and emotions. The sixth is trait perspective which would be a persons motives, someone's skills, and someone's free will. The seventh perspective is humanistic perspective which can best be described as a persons experiences and their spiritual fulfillment. The last perspective is the internationalist perspective which is the understanding that we are all different and have had different perspectives because of our experiences.

Friedman, H.S. & Schustack, M.W. (2012). Persoanlity: Classic theory and modern research, 5th ed. Allyn & Bacon: Heights, MA.

Question 2 of 5
   50.0 Points
Explain how a personality develops through shaping and conditioning.
Personalities have a way of developing and morphing through reinforcement and punishment. These can develop desired personality traits or on the flip side can just have a person oppress the undesirable personality trait. Skinner had the theory that this can happen because of behaviorist theory. The first step to shaping would be to reward the act which is performed, then the person would have to punish the persons actions. This is what would case the change in a persons behavior, it basically changes the perception of certain behaviors to that person. The behaviors that are rewarded or praised will encourage future behaviors to mirror that one, and punishing behaviors will discourage the negative traits from showing.

Freidman, H.S. & Schstack, M.W. (2012). Personality: Classic theories and modern research, 5th ed. Allyn & Bacon: Heights, MA.

Question 3 of 5
   50.0 Points
Imagine that TWO of the theorists below were invited to speak at a symposium on personality theory development and are both on the stage. Someone in the audience raises her hand and asks, "So what do you think was your theory's greatest contribution to our current understanding of human personality?" What would each of the theorists you chose say in answer to the question? Freud Jung Adler Rogers Horney
I think that Freud would have to go with the theory of the unconscious to include id, ego and superego. Freud would explain, that these three key point revolve around the psychosexual stages of development from birth to adulthood, he would also more than likely go into explaining how these factors will aid in the development of personality. For example Freud would explain the id would show peoples basic desires, motivation, impulses, instincts, all of which would fall under the basic pleasure principles. Then he would explain ego which sometimes has clashing ideals with the actual needs that are possible due to reality. He would also go on to explain how superego determines what a persons ideals of right and wrong are due to societies views, this would mirror the conscience.

The next theorist to speak would be Rogers speaking about psychotherapy, the Rogerian theory to be specific. His theory was based off of therapist that attempted to be supportive, nondirective and empathetic of their patients. He would explain how it really is the client that knows where and what the issue is and where therapy should progress to, to best suit the needs of the patient. This type of therapy allows the patient to open up and become more trusting to the therapist but as Rogers would explain there are steps involved in making this happen. The first is that the therapist has to open themselves to the patient and show extreme positivity towards the client making them feel like they are in a safe environment then the therapist would have to show empathy and understanding for the patients mindset as well as share experience with the client.

Question 4 of 5
   50.0 Points
McCrae and Costa (1990) think their "Big 5" Five Factor model is THE most complete personality theory. Some theorists would beg to differ! What theorist would say the Big 5 is thorough but by no means a complete model and describe what the theorist would say is missing?
I think that Carl Rogers would beg to differ that the "Big 5" model is the most complete personality theory. I believe that Rogers has the ideal that people are more than just a theory or an analysis. I think that he sees people as complex moving parts that are ever-changing. He believes through his theories that just because someone has a similar or familiar characteristic, that does not mean that that person fits into a specific mold. Basically I believe that he would say that a person cannot be stereotyped into one category because it is missing the uniqueness and differences that make each person who they are. I do believe that he would agree that there are groups of people who share common personality traits but that these personality theories steam from their environment not from a genetic or biological perspective.

Friedman, H.S. & Schstack, M.W. (2012). Personality: Classic theories and modern research, 5th ed. Allyn &Bacon: Heights, MA.

Question 5 of 5
   50.0 Points
What did you learn about your own personality from this course. What “spoke” to you…what did you learn about you? This question will be graded as rigorously as the other four on the exam!
What didn't I learn in this class. To be honest I learned much more than I have in other classes. I think that I learned most about myself because of Albert Banclura's Social Cognitive Learning Theory. This theory as you know is about the ability to adapt to situations and mimic personalities that you have seen be successful in certain situations. This 'ability' is known to help people get ahead because they can curve their personality so much and adapt at the snap of a finger. In all honesty doing my research on this theory showed me that as a teenager my low self esteem really changed the way that my personality would be, at least up to now. I have learned that people who suffer from this low self esteem are more dependent and likely to imitate personalities that are seen to be rewarded through observation. I have always had this ability to take things that I see work for other people and use it in my own life, I honestly didn't know there was a name for it, I just thought it was a really neat power over my personality that I have. Since learning what the root of this 'power' is, I have actually tried to stop doing this. I don't think I have low self esteem anymore and honestly I want to find who I am at the root. This theory was so helpful in taking the next step in my life to finding who I am underneath all these other personalities I have adapted. Its tiring always being on this front stage and finally I am able to take away the mask and see what's really behind it all. I think this was a huge development in my life, and a turning point.
Read 2685 times
3 Replies