L
w
m
j
ashtin6 ashtin6
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
At a particular university, a study has shown that students who live on campus are more likely to have GPAs over 3.0 than students who do not. A freshman at this university is randomly selected at the beginning of the fall term. Define events A = the student lives on campus, and B = the student has a GPA over 3.0 at the end of the fall term. According to the housing office, P(A) = .80 . Which statement is definitely true about P(BA) based on this information?
 a. P(BA) = .80
  b. P(BA) is greater than P(Bnot A)
  c. P(BA) is less than P(Bnot A)
  d. P(BA) = P(Bnot A)

Q. 2

A football player is randomly selected from all NCAA Division I college teams. Define the events D = the football player plays defense and T = the football player is over 6 feet tall. Suppose that we also know that of all NCAA Division I football players, 15 are shorter than 6 feet. What do we know about events D and T?
 a. They are independent events.
  b. They are dependent events.
  c. They are disjoint events.

Q. 3

A football player is randomly selected from all NCAA Division I college teams. Define the events D = the football player plays defense and T = the football player is over 6 feet tall. Suppose the percentage of football players who play defense that are shorter than 6 feet tall is only 8. How do write this statement using events D and T?

Q. 4

A football player is randomly selected from all NCAA Division I college teams. Define the events D = the football player plays defense and T = the football player is over 6 feet tall. How do we interpret the probability P(DT)?

Q. 5

A student is randomly selected from a large college. Define the events C = the student owns a cell phone and I = the student owns an iPod. Suppose you know that your friend's sister, who attends this college, owns a cell phone and you are wondering what would be the chance that she owns an iPod. What type of probability would this be?
 a. A probability of independent events.
  b. A probability of dependent events.
  c. A conditional probability.
  d. A probability of disjoint events.

Q. 6

A student is randomly selected from a large college. Define the events C = the student owns a cell phone and I = the student owns an iPod. Which of the following is the correct notation for the percentage of students who own a cell phone but not an iPod?
 a. P(CI)
  b. P(CIC)
  c. P(CC and I)
  d. P(C and IC)

Q. 7

A student is randomly selected from a large college. Define the events C = the student owns a cell phone and I = the student owns an iPod. Which of the following is the correct interpretation of the probability P(IC)?
 a. The chance that a randomly selected student owns an iPod.
  b. The percentage of students who own both a cell phone and an iPod.
  c. The proportion of students who own a cell phone who also own an iPod.
  d. The relative frequency of iPod owners who own a cell phone.

Q. 8

A student is randomly selected from a large college campus. Define the events H = the student has blond hair and E = the student has blue eyes. The chance that a blond haired student has blue eyes equals 75. How do we write this probability?
 a. P(H) = 0.75
  b. P(E) = 0.75
  c. P(EH) = 0.75
  d. P(HE) = 0.75
Read 46 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
pradippradip
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago