s
a
t
i
r
einsteindude einsteindude
wrote...
9 years ago
Some older cars vibrate loudly when driving at particular speeds. For example, at 65 mph the car may be most quiet, but at 60 mph the car rattles uncomfortably. How is this analogous to the quantized energy levels of an electron in an atom?
A) A car is designed for maximum performance at particular speeds under given road conditions. Likewise, electron energy level transitions are smooth if they occur while the atom is in a low energy state. Changing the speed of the car for the road conditions is similar to subjecting the atom to unusual energy conditions.
B) New cars and small atoms don't share this behavior because modern technology produces better cars and small atoms don't have enough electrons to move among quantized energy levels to cause vibration.
C) The vibrating car is analogous to one of the energy levels of the electron, which is the point at which the electron experiences resonance.
D) There can be no analogy between a vibrating car and the quantized energy level of an electron in an atom since electrons don't vibrate. Doing so would cause the atom to break apart.
Textbook 
Conceptual Physical Science

Conceptual Physical Science

Edition: 6th
Authors:
Read 2158 times
5 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bSharpbSharp
wrote...
Top Poster