× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
SethHuddleston SethHuddleston
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Which of the following statements most accurately captures the financial status of older adults in the United States?

A) The percentage of older people living below the poverty level has been increasing.
  B) The financial needs of most older adults are well met by Social Security income alone.
  C) The recent decline in housing prices has made many older adults asset rich and cash poor..
  D) Women 65 years of age and older is the fastest growing group of employment.

Question 2

An older patient who smokes half a pack of cigarettes daily and is diagnosed with COPD expresses regret about starting smoking over 50 years ago at a time when it was considered both fashionable and harmless.

What can the nurse respond to this patient? A) Even though you have smoked for a long time, there are still benefits to quitting smoking..
  B) If you continue to smoke, any medical treatment for your COPD is likely to be ineffective..
  C) Unfortunately the damage is now done and quitting smoking will likely have little effect on your future health..
  D) Even though it won't affect the course of your COPD, quitting smoking would probably make you feel better about yourself..

Question 3

The nurse is facilitating a health promotion class at a senior center. Which statement made by a participant should be corrected by the nurse?

A) My wife and I both get our flu shots each fall..
  B) I'm vigilant about staying away from anyone who has a cold or flu..
  C) I use a puffer regularly to prevent any problems with my breathing in the future..
  D) I've found that doing deep breathing exercises helps relax me and expand my lungs..

Question 4

What is the responsibility of the nurse regarding informed consent?

a. Explain the surgical options.
  b. Explain the operative risks.
  c. Obtain the patient's signature.
  d. Check form for appropriate signatures.

Question 5

Which of the following phenomena most likely accounts for the fact that more women than men live alone later in life?

A) Women tend to both live longer than men and marry men older than themselves.
  B) Men tend to have greater access to care facilities due to higher incomes and savings.
  C) Men are more likely to live with younger family members following the death of a spouse.
  D) Social pressures tend to stigmatize older men who live alone.

Question 6

A patient and a nurse develop a preoperative teaching plan. In teaching the patient to cough effectively after surgery, the nurse should tell her to practice

a. breathing through her nose, holding her breath, and exhaling slowly.
  b. taking three deep breaths and coughing from the chest.
  c. inhaling while contracting the abdominal muscles and exhaling while contracting the diaphragm.
  d. taking short, frequent panting breaths and coughing from the throat to clear accumulated mucus.
Read 46 times
2 Replies